Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Money Or a Loan to pay for school?
Alright so that may seem like a no brainer question but as usual my life makes it more complicated than that. So my grandfather has offered to pay my tuition for next semester, which is 729$ so all I have to do is pay for books.

I put in a loan request for 1500$ and what I don't use I'll send back to them and loans helped build up credit which is good! But I am poor, and when I mean poor I mean after paying all my current debts and expenses am left with..well this month it was 4$. So am I really in a position to be able to pay back a loan?I don't think so.

The problem with accepting money from my grandfather is my brother and sister have both done it and they said he made their lives a living hell. If you get something new he wants to know how you got the money to pay for it. My dad told me he offered to loan my mom and him money for...a house I think and wanted to see like their paystubs, bills, that kinda thing. So he's a control freak I guess.

But I am pretty wise at my financial spending. I know that if I make a purchase and I really can't afford it I won't get it and I'm a great avoider so I feel like it would actually be hard for him to butt in to my life. Considering I work full time and plus going to school and doing school work I really don't have a lot of free time to go out and do stuff so I don't.

I would like to hear some unbiased opinions because my parents and siblings already know dealing with him can be horrid but I don't know, I think taking out a loan might financially fuck me and I'm not sure that's worth not having to deal with my grandpa..

I have that same problem with my dad. I recently borrowed money from him and if i ever do anything he puts his hand out like he wants money. But i only had enough to get something simple for me and when I am capable of paying him i will. But he pests me. Anyway, sometimes it just comes with the territory and you have to suck it up.

Would the loan be one with payments deferred until after you graduate? If so I would take the loan and, look into any grants you might qualify for before accepting the money from your grandfather.

Or...

Take the money from your grandfather as a LOAN. Make that clear up front. You'll repay every cent.

That sets you free from his controlling your life (what does he care? He'll get the money back). And you can pay back the money on a schedule that is comfortable for both of you, perhaps even with no interest, and no threat to your credit rating.

Good luck.
Smile

Is there not a program that you can pay back after your education is complete and you begin work?
I am pretty sure my sister in law did that.

In any case , take the money from your grand father, you are responsible with money.

I would go for the loan, like Blue said the payments are differed until after you graduate and they have several payment plans to choose from after you graduate. plus I would go for grants and as many scholarships as you can find, I'm sure there are some LGBT ones out there, and it's worth the time to write up the essays for the scholarships.