Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impossibly long web addresses!
Why is it eveytime i find something good id like to share and discuss on gs its web address is ridiculously long (over 100 characters!) and just random letters/symbols, like its as difficult as possibly can be to write down.

I cant copy and paste or whatever, i just copy the address when i can…when its decent!

wtf is it with this crap!

For god sake!

Aaaaaaaaaagh

HELP!

Copy the whole thing and then use the "Insert link" option (that the small blue, round thingy. Remember to delete the http:// otherwise it will appear twice and the link won't work.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Thanks londoner.. yes i know you copy the address in that "small blue round thingy" (tiny earth)

I can do that but not when the address is bloody ridiculously long so it takes 10 minutes to copy and another 10 minutes to type in GS only for it not to work because its so complicated

partis Wrote:Thanks londoner.. yes i know you copy the address in that "small blue round thingy" (tiny earth)

I can do that but not when the address is bloody ridiculously long so it takes 10 minutes to copy and another 10 minutes to type in GS only for it not to work because its so complicated

You don't have to type the URL. Just put the cursor on it, right press and "Copy".

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=...R0fQWs77RA

Holy crap i did it.

Thanks londoner!

If the address is so long it doesn't fit in the address bar, so you have a hard time selecting it with the mouse and right clicking to copy, try the following.

Click on the address bar (anywhere on it, doesn't matter where) and press and hold the Ctrl button and then press the A button, then release both. This should work across most operating systems and browsers. Ctrl-A is the standard shortcut for "select all".

Most of the time you can also do this even quicker by doing a triple click on the address bar to select the entire address.

Once the entire address is selected (highlighted) then you can either right click/copy or you can use the other standard keyboard shortcut of Ctrl-C to copy the text. Ctrl-V is the standard keyboard shortcut to paste.

There is some variation in this, but the above usually works. Unless you're using a tablet or cell phone that is, in which case everything is different again. Most people are pretty ignorant of just how much more powerful their computer can be and how much more productive they can be with it, if they just learn some of the shortcuts. Don't feel bad if you're among them.

Sorry I should,ve explained that I dont use a regular computer, its all "touch screen" on my phone but I figured it out kind of by what Londoner said.

partis Wrote:Holy crap i did it.

Thanks londoner!

Glad to have been of help