Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In Gay Marriage, Who Should Change Their Last Name?
hinsonba Wrote:Essentially this question is suggesting that the stereotypical heterosexual roles should also apply to homosexual relationships. And I don't think this is really where we want to be heading...
/snip/
(Maybe I did blow this question a bit out of proportion, but I'm young, and everything's still a cause for me. Smile)
I think you said it perfectly. :biggrin:

Heterosexual couples don't even change their names here in Quebec.

In my culture, people don't change their last name in marriage. Your name is a precious gift that your parents gave to you. Why would you want to change it?
But if my partner wants to change his last name to mine. It wouldn't be a problem. I would respect and support his decision no matter what.

I think marriage is an oppressive institution and have no desire to embrace it in this lifetime...I support gay marriage as an issue of equality under the law but on a personal level...I'll pass....so I have no real thoughts on the name thing. I guess it would depend on where you get your sense of identity from and how important it is to you.

The trouble with hyphenation is that it sounds so pretentious. I think my fiancé and I will keep our own names.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to insinuate that there should be stereotypes forced on anyone's relationships, I just had that question pop in to my head the other day and wanted to see how others would answer it.

If it was me, I doubt I'd change my last name and I don't think I'd make my partner take it either.

Now if I end up marrying a woman, who knows. I still don't really want someone else to take my last name because it's not that great of a last name. But who knows. "Carry on the family line" and what not...I dunno if I really care about that.

Hopefully gay marriage divorce rates are positively different from straight marriage divorce rates. It'd be nice to throw that out there.

I think, as pretty much everyone else here has said, that it's up to the couple and whether or not they even want to change their names. I know in my case I wouldn't mind taking the last name of a future husband, so long as his last name wasn't something really weird or gross sounding. But I'm also biased since I don't care for my last name and would change it to something else in a heartbeat.

Otherwise, I think it really doesn't make a difference at all. It's not like sharing last names even indicates being married anymore since there are tons of similar last names now :p.

I'm tempted to say the bottom should change his last name.

I think it should be down to who ever is in the relationship and just talk about it. Confusedmile:
They can change it if they like to even if its the top or bottom guy or just keep the one they have. Confusedmile: