Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In Shock
i never got on facebook and all the people i went to high school with are who knows where. that part of my life is past. i feel no need to address it or make contact with people there. and i had some really good friends in high school, but it's just gone now. life has moved on. if i ever run into any of them, sure, it'll be interesting to talk to them, but otherwise, i have my life.

glad to hear you got some peace of mind on the topic, East.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

meridannight Wrote:i never got on facebook and all the people i went to high school with are who knows where. that part of my life is past. i feel no need to address it or make contact with people there. and i had some really good friends in high school, but it's just gone now. life has moved on. if i ever run into any of them, sure, it'll be interesting to talk to them, but otherwise, i have my life.

glad to hear you got some peace of mind on the topic, East.

I could have actually walked to my last HS reunion...it was within a couple miles...but I didn't go...never been to one of them. I live within 25 miles of my HS and I have seen a lot of the people I went to HS with around. I have no interest in pursuing anything...

I found many of my old college friends on Facebook, who I had not seen in several years. A few years ago we all had an informal reunion in the town where we went to college.
It was a few hundred people by the time it became friends and the friends of friends and was based around a live music bar where we all used to hang out. It had since turned in to a standard, get drunk college bar, but the owner allowed for a night for some of the bands that used to play there to perform and to let us have control of that night. Space was rented in a park with a stage for the next day. Some of the bands were student bands at the time and they had not played together for many years. Their practice was very quick in the hours before they performed. Those of us with spouses and significant others left them home unless that person had been a part of that experience in life from about 25 years before. Those with kids left them home. It was a weekend to act young and reckless as if we were in back in the 80's. People came from all over the country, a few from somewhere out of the country. There were some that could not come, of course, because they had died and most of those, unless I was still in touch, I had heard about through the grapevine over the years. One that was suppose to show up and we were all looking forward to committed suicide a couple months before the reunion. One that I had lost track of and could not find anywhere, a close "straight" friend that I adored and ended up having one incredible, secretive night with and I was looking forward to seeing again, I found had died of a heroin overdose about 10 years ago. One friend was one of the main organizers of the event and died of cancer the next year and was also a Facebook friend and I will every once in a while get a reminder of her when I go to some Facebook page and see her profile pic in the place where it shows what fb friends "like" the page. It is kind of strange since it has been a few years now to still see her profile there on Facebook.

It was an incredible adventure that I am so glad I had. It is experience that would not have been such a success and had so many people show up if it had not been for Facebook allowing friends from years ago to be found again. I enjoy the memories.

[MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION], I don't think Facebook is for everyone. It helps me keep in touch with my students, it helps me keep in touch with my current friends. Mostly, my old friends don't visit me on my page, so, maybe they're not really looking for me.

Iceblink Wrote:...
It was an incredible adventure that I am so glad I had. It is experience that would not have been such a success and had so many people show up if it had not been for Facebook allowing friends from years ago to be found again. I enjoy the memories.
Normal, for a person like you, [MENTION=20912]Iceblink[/MENTION], since you're a Cancerian... Friends are like family - all important.