Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Incredible but true
In the UK one pays a licence fee if you own a TV. A colour TV licence costs £145.50 per year and TV Licensing said: “Some of the excuses are hilarious but being caught without a valid licence is a criminal offence and no laughing matter.”

Top 12 excuses:

1. Why would I need a TV Licence for a TV I stole? Nobody knows I’ve got it.

2. I have lost weight recently and had to buy new clothes. That’s why I could not afford to buy a TV Licence.

3. I had not paid as I received a lethal injection.

4. Apparently my dog, which is a corgi, was related to the Queen’s dog so I didn’t think I needed a TV Licence.

5. I don’t want to pay for a licence for a full year. Knowing my luck I’ll be dead in six months and won’t get value for money.

6. I could not pay for my TV Licence because the Olympic torch was coming down my road and I could not get to the shop as the road was too busy.

7. I only use my TV as a lamp. If you switch it on it gives a good glow which allows me to read my book.

8. The only way I can afford to pay for my TV Licence is if I sell my hamster, is that what you want me to do?

9. Only my three year old son watches the TV. Can you take it out of the family allowance I receive for him? He watches it so he should pay.

10. I spend so much time at my neighbour’s house, we thought we would just share a TV Licence. My neighbour has the other half.

11. I could not pay as I only have two pairs of pants and they were both in the wash.

12. I got caught shoplifting so I’m barred from the shop that takes PayPoint payment

oh my this is a thorn in my side, no matter where i lived im inundated with TV licence warning letter's, all the blinking time! In my new address i didnt have a tv for a year and a half and they still sent them, in my life ive seen about 10,000 and ignored .Every. Single. One. Why should i pay for 90% crap.

So you can add this to your list.

13. I did not pay because i did not have tv.

Ive always been curious about this...

Exactly what does a TV license pay FOR???
Are you renting the TV?
Is it like paying for cable here in the states?
Is it a tax on having a TV?

????

Curious minds want to know!
Multi

MisterTinkles Wrote:Ive always been curious about this...

Exactly what does a TV license pay FOR???
Are you renting the TV?
Is it like paying for cable here in the states?
Is it a tax on having a TV?

????

Curious minds want to know!
Multi

Basically we have to pay to watch television. It's a stupid law which should be stopped. We pay separately for Sky TV etc.
An eye for an eye

That's the first time I've heard of that law. Crazy. Shows how much I know about the UK.

I decided to look at the TV Licencing site and found this...... If the licence holder dies.

Asking you to send your bank details by post, we can't trust postmen to get our post to its destination let alone trust them to hold these details in their hands.

Do you need to get a permit first? I swear, every day, people watching teevee musheen get younger and younger, and some of them look WAY too old to be watching teevee musheen... Maybe people in the UK should all have a guy that can print them fake licenses.

These days when you buy a TV in the UK you have to by law give your address so that it can be sent to the TV licencing agency. They then check on their database whether the property in question has one or not. Those who don't have one will have letters sent to them or even people themselves turn up at their door regarding the licence, no bit of fake printed paper is going to stop you getting harassed about one. Technically they can't do anything if you have a TV but aren't using it to receive TV channels although generally you have to prove that it isn't connected to an arial.

Before I left my ex we had someone come around about the TV Licence, I thought he had already sorted it since he was living in the property for a while before I started living there. The only thing that deterred the lady while I was there was the fact that our lock on our front door had broke so we couldn't leave the house without using the window.

You can by law remove the TV licencing agencies "implied right of access" by sending them a letter noting this. It can be done with other companies and annoying people too, this only restricts access to your property (if you own it).

It sounds like the UK is much less plagued by ads, however. I'd pay money for that...ideally, it would be a voluntary service, of course (despite that it would be cheaper for all if everyone is made to pay for it).