Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infallible (but not very sensible) way to lose weight
I do small regular meals as well, but am picky about what I combine. It's really the best way to keep the metabolism running high.

Actually it isn't that bad of an idea.

however I bet you could trim the calories from your diet and still eat regular meals.

Cutting out unwanted/added fats and sugars can reap a whirlwind of calories especially if you eat take away and box foods.

A tablespoon of fat ranges between 100-120 calories. That can be something like the fat injected in hamburger. If you buy the leaner (yes more expensive) hamburger you can be consuming 100-120 less calories per patty.

Sugars are not that bad, they only have 45 calories per tablespoon. Compare the Diet coke can to the regular coke can (12 oz (355 ml)) and you are looking at 140 calories. If you drink three of those a day you are consuming 420 calories, nearly a quarter of a 2000 calorie diet.

Add sugar to coffee? How much calories are you adding?

Eat more vegetables and fruits - fill up on veg and you will eat less calories. Or if you want to maintain your caloric intake you will need to stuff yourself with a lot of veg. One can literally eat all day long with most veg (if not deep fat fried, or with calorie loaded dip) and be full and still lose weight.

As for your large loss this early on - most of that was water weight. Hate to break this to you but everybody loses a lot of water the first month...

You most likely only lost one Kilogram of fat - or possibly .8kg fat and .2kg of lean muscle mass.

The truth is when a person loses weight they don't just lose fat, they lose water and muscle and even other tissues like liver tissue, bone tissue. Prolonged starvation can lead to serious health risks later in life all because you denied your body building blocks for its organs and tissues.

The body steals from every organ and tissue in order to keep the brain and heart going. If you are not ingesting those minerals, vitamins, nutrients, proteins, etc then your body will sacrifice unneeded organs like the liver, the lungs, the spleen.

And this is just a short term thing since this is a diet. Eventually you will go back to eating breakfast and then you will not only gain what you lost but more in return.

Why? because your body is geared toward surviving famine. The body doesn't know you are surrounded by food, it only knows that none is getting inside of it. There is a lot of things the body does to conserve energy, and once you start eating the boy will stack on the fat pounds to stave off death when the next famine comes.

Yes the body is stupid in that it doesn't know the difference between your starving yourself from a meal and real famine - but its a wonderful adaptation of billions of years.

So - cut out the high fat foods, replacing them with low calories foods like fruits and vegetables. Feed the body - feed it well - and often and it will lose its fat and maintain its muscle and organs.

Geminize Wrote:It follows a plan of no breakfast (just water and/or coffee); a small noon meal of veggies, no carbs, maybe a little protein, work out, then eat all you want in the evening (limited to veggies, fruit, protein, few carbs, little fat, and no processed sugar).

You don't feel sick at all with coffee on an empty stomach? That would make me a nauseous, jittery, anxious mess. And aren't veggies carbs?

I lost quite a bit of weight recently (almost 100 lbs in the last two years, with about 20-30 more to go) and I did it by doing the exact opposite of MisterLove; I stopped skipping breakfast. I try to have either some steel cut oatmeal in the morning, or egg whites with some dry wheat toast. My routine once was: skip breakfast, probably skip lunch, eat a day's worth at ten at night... never exercised.

Horrible.

Now I make sure to eat three small meals a day, minding the nutritional value of what I put in me (healthy fats only, no red meat, lots of greens, etc.) and go for a jog at least four times a week.

But when all is said and done, you just have to burn more calories than you intake, and everyone has their own special way of achieving that. So, as long as you're being healthy and smart about it, then do whatever works for you.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:especially if you eat take away and box foods.

Absolutely, no controversy here. Take away is the absolutely worst and quitting it was another reason why I lost so much weight. We have no idea what they put in the food but it's not good, that's for sure.

MisterLove Wrote:Honey, that makes total sense and in theory you're right but the facts tell me the exact opposite: I have never lost so much weight in my life.

I guess nutrition is not quite an exact science. Everyone is different and results vary a lot from person to person.

You are going to gain it back when you start eating breakfast again.

Call me old fashioned, but what's wrong with a sensible, balanced diet, plenty of exercise and not leading a sedentary life-style?

Try horse riding, it does wonders for your balance (which is why it's such a fantastic activity for disabled kids) and it really helps all the muscle groups - that is if you want to stay on!

An article from the NY Times on the subject of breakfast and weight loss:

But new research shows that despite the conventional weight-loss wisdom, the idea that eating breakfast helps you lose weight stems largely from misconstrued studies.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/10...30911&_r=0

This is fu***** unbelievable, I'm about to reach the 70 kg mark. I've never lost so much weight in my life. I recently met an old friend of mine and he said that I was looking much thinner - which, of course, was great for my ego.

The downside is I've been feeling weak and much less energetic and even a bit depressed.

BUT I so much want to lose weight!

Vigilias Wrote:Call me old fashioned, but what's wrong with a sensible, balanced diet, plenty of exercise and not leading a sedentary life-style?

Try horse riding, it does wonders for your balance (which is why it's such a fantastic activity for disabled kids) and it really helps all the muscle groups - that is if you want to stay on!

There's nothing wrong with that but it simply does not work!

I have tried exercise, skipping dinner, supplements, etc. NOTHING worked! This may be wrong but it's definitely working.

I rarely eat breakfast.

my first 'meal' is usually a light snack at 1000. My breakfast is black coffee, does no harm for my health unless I was gorging breakfast + lunch levels of food into 1 sitting.