Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insulin Toxicity? Intermittent Fasting
Diabetes does concern me a bit because both my parents have it, grandmother had it...I have an Aunt on insulin and well they all like to eat well and so do I.

To give you a little background, I went to the dentist of all places and to make a long story short the dentist give me a lecture about diabetes and that I need to get my A1C checked and so on. Haven't done that yet, my checkup isn't until later this year.

Forward to now. I have a bit of an obsession on watching documentaries, or anything informational. So I thought it would be nice to learn more about the mechanics of diabetes and what people can do to prevent, sounds like a good idea right.

So the first thing I find is this video called "Insulin Toxicity and How to Cure Diabetes" and looked like a doctor was giving a presentation so I gave it a look. Now, I'm not an expert by any means, not my field, but seems there have been some studies done to show that intermittent fasting can help reverse insulin resistance and help people lose weight. To put it in layman's terms, insulin resistance is caused by constant higher levels of insulin...because we eat too much carbs, sweets, etc... So the worse that the resistance is the more insulin is needed to maintain a healthy glucose level. You end up medications that either increase your sensitivity to insulin or medications that make your pancreas create more insulin and then finally you end up having to take insulin.

So the studies this doctor shows suggests that intermittent fasting can both lower insulin and glucose levels so that insulin or medication are not required. Also can help prevent insulin resistance... Of course with reduced caloric intake, reduced glucose and insulin also will lower one's weight. It has been my understanding that insulin is responsible for putting glucose into the cells...and that high insulin levels cause weight gain.

The other argument is that intermittent fasting is more natural because our ancestors, hunter gatherers would go for periods without food and our bodies would adapt to the absence of food and so on.

So anyway, not trying to start an argument. There are studies suggesting none of this is the case and things that go against the grain are always the subject to scrutiny. There's not too many companies out there who want to fund studies on not eating nor participants who want to participate in fasting and not get paid.

I am curious to hear thoughts, opinions...specifically those who either have a background or have experience.

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

My family history is similar to your own, and when I was younger and I let my we it get up to 220 lbs, I was diagnosed borderline diabetic.

At the time, I was in college studying for my degree in Biology and I had done a paper on the "starvation diet" on rehus monkeys, so I decided to use my self as a gueni pig.

I lost the weight and my diabetes problem resolved itself. That said, if you plan to follow a starvation diet of this sort, would be to go with the raw food diet, but be very very careful about daily caloric intake.

~Beaux

I agree with [MENTION=13210]Beaux[/MENTION]... Change your eating habits, but don't feast and famine.

I was recently diagnosed as "Pre-Diabetic". I've cut pop out of my diet, and am going to see how that goes before I do anything more drastic. Pop was the only thing I drank though.

Borg69 Wrote:I agree with [MENTION=13210]Beaux[/MENTION]... Change your eating habits, but don't feast and famine.

I was recently diagnosed as "Pre-Diabetic". I've cut pop out of my diet, and am going to see how that goes before I do anything more drastic. Pop was the only thing I drank though.

I haven't had pop since December... been drinking, coffee, tea and water for the most part. The first week stopping was hell...like physically and emotionally. I used to drink it all the time. I lost about 17 lbs the first month though. So that will definitely help if not get you out of the pre-diabetic area....

What is interesting to think about is assuming all this is for the most part correct that fasting increases your sensitivity to insulin that would seem to incline me to think that less insulin will make you store the calories...however the fasting should help burn stored fat... Does make evolutionary sense to be more energetic while fasting in efforts to get more food... However, that being said one thing is that we don't have to go for days without food and perhaps that in itself is not natural, especially foods that are exceptionally high in carbs, sugars and so on....and I'm an expert and don't know really what the fuck I'm talking about lol

Of course that is why the subject of diabetes is a well debated one, there's a lot of studies, of varying qualities that suggest many things might work or not work.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I figure I would give fasting a try....after I do the triathlon...and just continue a normal diet otherwise... not go to Golden Corral and go bat shit crazy lol.
Check out my stuff!

These may be of interest to some:

https://diabetes.co.uk/diet/newcastle-st...-diet.html

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/dia...ecipes.pdf

http://www.everydiet.org/diet/newcastle-diet
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I have a conspiracy theory that it's actually corn syrup causing a lot of our problems.

I'm old enough to remember before the 80's fitness craze when people ate whatever they wanted. Bacon. Eggs. Whole Milk. Pure Cane Sugar. From my point of view (granted, probably limited), it seemed like there was a whole lot less obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, ... back then than there is now. However, there was also a lot more physical labor than there is now, too.

But yeah... it feels like since they banned cane sugar and changed everything over to corn syrup sweeteners was when American health fell apart.

Borg69 Wrote:I have a conspiracy theory that it's actually corn syrup causing a lot of our problems.

In short, it is the problem.

The thing about Corn Syrup, specifically High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). IS both cheap and can be used in just about everything. Start looking at labels, you'll find it in a very large number of food products...

HFCS is usually 45-55% fructose. Fructose seems to be getting the pointed finger at causing insulin resistance. Fructose is common in fruits and vegetables but in lower amounts and accompanied by fiber which helps with dealing the the added sugar...AT least that's what some studies suggest. The other thing to note is that table sugar is 50% fructose and always has been.

I may have cited this video before, but it is interesting to watch and have a looksee...

Check out my stuff!

Borg69: That point was brought out recently on a TV programme I saw. American farmers were encouraged to grow maize (corn) and cultivated so much that the excess was turned in to corn syrup that spread spread far beyond the confines of North America and is now found as a sweetner in almost every country of the world, usually disguised under the name of fructose.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:Borg69: That point was brought out recently on a TV programme I saw. American farmers were encouraged to grow maize (corn) and cultivated so much that the excess was turned in to corn syrup that spread spread far beyond the confines of North America and is now found as a sweetner in almost every country of the world, usually disguised under the name of fructose.

I seem to recall so vaguely some kind of dissension between the government and the farm belt in America. Maybe, like labor now, everything was being grown over seas cheaper leaving our farmers with nothing to do/grow. Pure Cane Sugar winded up 'evil', and the farmers were saved with growing corn. Perhaps it's tied into the Nixon conspiracy Axle's video talked about?

I dunno. Like I said, most of my thoughts on the subject are conjecture and conspiracy theories on observations of when I was a kid.

My conspiracies run deep though... I'm also scared of artificial sweeteners.

Caloric Sweeteners
Dextrose
Glucose Syrup
Crystalline Fructose
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Honey
Sugar
Fruit Juice Concentrates
Maltodextrin
Trehalose
Stevia (not FDA approved)

Artificial Sweeteners
Saccharin
Aspartame
Acesulfame-K
Sucralose
Neotame

Sugar Alcohols / Polyols
Sorbitol
Mannitol
Xylitol
Erythritol
D-Tagatose
Isomalt (Palatinat)
Lacititol
Maltitol
HSH Hydrogenated Starch Hydroslsates, Maltito
Glycerol
Polydextrose

Artifical Sweeteners, Not Yet Approved by FDA
Alitame
Cyclamates
Neohesperdine
Thaumatin

https://www.sugar.org/all-about-sugar/th...weeteners/

I also didn't realize there were so many of them!!! Eek!!!