Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Software
The great thing about Ubuntu is you can try it out by installing it on Windows. That way you don't have to change your hard drive in any way, you can uninstall it easily if you change your mind, and you don't have to burn it to a "Live CD" or put up with the slowness of using a CD.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer

I'm using Ubuntu right now in this way, as I don't want to change my hard drive setup. Using the Windows installer, all the Linux stuff is stored in a single file in Windows Smile

I actually used Ubuntu as a stand alone OS for the last 5 years, but didn't like Unity in the latest Ubuntu release, so I am now using Debian and can't wait until Gnome 3 filters down into stable.

oh btw, here is az draw. Its freeware from japan, but the program was translated into english and then the programmer stopped working on it. You can only draw in black and white but you could save it and take it to opencanvas (the freeware version) and make some very good illustrations. I can help anyone who can't get the hang of it. you need winrar to open it or any of those zip opening programs really.

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA033749/...113_en.zip

dfiant Wrote:I actually used Ubuntu as a stand alone OS for the last 5 years, but didn't like Unity in the latest Ubuntu release, so I am now using Debian and can't wait until Gnome 3 filters down into stable.

I agree. Unity is great for my small little laptop screen, but I was almost infuriated with being forced to use it in the latest upgrade, to the point that I went to Linux Mint on my larger laptop.

I left partially on the grounds that I didn't like the way the Ubuntu project was conducting things. The whole giving Gnome the cold shoulder and then pretty much abandoning the whole flexibility thing.

The Unity bar is currently unmovable and uncustomisable. This is what Ubuntu's creators had to say on the matter:

Quote:I think the report actually meant that the launcher should be movable to other edges of the screen. I'm afraid that won't work with our broader design goals, so we won't implement that. We want the launcher always close to the Ubuntu button.

It was enough to make me abandon Ubuntu out of disgust. You telling me how to use my computer. Fuck off! I don't care if the bar's location has the best rationale in the world, I want my bar at the bottom. I don't want to give reasons, it's just what I want, and as it is my PC I'll have it, even if that means leaving Ubuntu behind.

Soon enough I'll be installing Mint. Currently Wubi doesn't handle Mint, but I might go ahead and see if I can change that.

EDIT: Ooo just found this: http://duncsweb.com/forums/topic/2179-mi...entry13130

I will be installing Linux Mint, which IMO, is now better than Ubuntu

Having an eye for a good title, I thought you'd enjoy this video in the thread: INTERESTING SOFTWARE (actually the software is supposed to keep the hardware protected, lol)

Paul1 Wrote:I will be installing Linux Mint, which IMO, is now better than Ubuntu

LinuxMint 11 with Gnome 3 installed on my laptop

LinuxMint Debian Edition (LMDE) installed on my main PC which I am using now because I like the idea of a 'rolling' distribution compared to a distribution you have to upgrade/reinstall with a new release, so with Debian, you will always have the most stable and up to date system.

I totally agree with you about Ubuntu, as soon as they start dictating how your computer should look and run, in your words they can fuck off.

I like my computer to run with Dolphin, Gnome, Avant-Window-Navigator, Conky and to be able to easily change my desktop background.

princealbertofb Wrote:Having an eye for a good title, I thought you'd enjoy this video in the thread: INTERESTING SOFTWARE (actually the software is supposed to keep the hardware protected, lol)

Fascinating, I can see there is good 'ROM' for a floppy, but what size hard drive would that software best support?
Is there an easy way for uploads?
how long does a download last?
Does the software support 'plug n' play' ?
Are you free to upgrade?