Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Weekend
I traveled to visit family this weekend as both my grandpas turned 85 recently. My sisters were up with their husbands and my nieces, and it was a great weekend overall.

On my mom's side, she has one sister and two brothers. My one uncle in NYC is gay and has been out for some time. My other uncle lives in Seattle and we never knew for sure his situation - I think my sisters suspected but even I couldn't tell and I hate to presume. Well, he officially came out, meaning all the sons on that side and all the grandsons (well, me - I'm the only grandson) are gay. He also, and I include this to perhaps give some hope, talked about the guy he'd been with three years now and said: "I never thought I'd meet the love of my life in my 50s". I sure hope I don't have to wait that long but I guess there's something about knowing to never give up too.

The other thing of note that happened was strong storms - seems to have been straight line winds, but the effects sure look like a tornado. It happened last night and my parents ended up without power (still are without it - I've since driven home where I'm glad to have power). Luckily our farm only had minor damage - some down trees and minor damage to outlying buildings on the farm, not much to the main house. And thankfully I haven't heard of any deaths or injuries... but my hometown and some of the surrounding towns I grew up around got hit pretty bad. I drove through the hometown on the way back and it just was a mess. On the drive home I just felt really overcome with emotion, seeing the damage - my heart going out to all those affected, but also so grateful that it wasn't worse. It occurred overnight without much warning and some of us, including my precious nieces, were asleep upstairs at the start and it would not have taken much for it to have been worse, so I'm just feeling a lot of gratitude and somewhat reflective right now.

Anyway, I know I missed a lot of threads while I was gone, so a general welcome to any newbies that I missed; hope everyone's doing well and thanks for letting me share.

Hiya Josh, and welcome back from the weekend. I'm busily reading your post... Bighug

Sorry to hear about the storm and devastation... As you said, if nobody was injured, then it's a blessing. You can't help the wind.

Hey, Josh. I'm glad everyone is safe and you made it back home with no trouble!
I found your uncle's story pretty neat. And, wow -- all the males on that side being gay. I find all that fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

So long as everyone's ok. At least you got to spend time with family, too.