• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting colourised photos from the past
Maybe of interest to some.

http://boredomtherapy.com/colorized-history-photos/#
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

wow! this is amazing.

THANK YOU Londoner!

I LOVE a lot of these photos....very cool...

This is my favorite

[Image: colorized-old-photos-9.jpg]

Thank Londoner!! I love pictures from the past! childhood brings such great memories!!

[Image: colorized-old-photos-35.jpg]

I was surprised I didn't hate them all (being an aesthete purist and all that BS). Some I still prefer B&W because color changes the "feeling tone" of the image. However, I was surprised to see how many of them I liked better in color. The Darwin Portrait in particular…

[Image: colorized-old-photos-24.jpg]

… the colorist has obviously studied studio paintings from that era. The overall cool coloration (even the browns are relatively cool, more red than yellow and a lot of blue in the black) create the atmosphere of northern light coming through a skylight or high open window. That is precisely what one would find in an artist's loft of the period. The original subject may very well have been photographed in such natural light. The brown tones are exquisitely done, especially the gray in the hair.

On the other hand, the colorization of some just doesn't "cut it" for me. One prime example is this portrait of Picasso

[Image: colorized-old-photos-3.jpg][Image: p_PicassoPortrait.jpg]

The background painting is probably more or less accurate but the pinkish/lavender shirt and somewhat grayed skin tone just doesn't fit an artist who had aesthetic and sexual cojones the size of

[Image: fa2fe3fcaf563debb96197acf29731bf.jpg]

I know, I know, everybody's a fucking critic. Rolleyes

Really like the Times Square one.

[Image: colorized-old-photos-5.jpg]

One wouldn't expect less of you Mike. I wish more people would use a photography thread.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

WOW, Amazing! Thank you Londoner.
I can EXPLAIN it to you but I can't UNDERSTAND it for you
Spoiler:
!

Like MikeW, I generally prefer the original B&W, but agree that some of these were quite well done. Regardless of how "right" they were, it was fun to see them all. Thanks for the post!

why do those kids in that picture (the one Leandronj also brought out) have adult faces? what is up with that?