Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introverts ?!.
New to the forums... So I'll just jump in..

I'm 43, and consider myself an introvert. If you're an introvert how do you make friends? Got a partner of 3 years. He goes out with his friends and I'm okay with that. I stay home, listen to music or read a book.

I do like going out, movies, shopping, walks, etc.. Not to a club or bar, I just want to leave after 30 minutes.

But have a hard time making friends. As an introvert I tend to be quiet unless the conversation is simulating, or in depth. Not great with small talk.

What you guys think? Are you a introvert yourself?

Hi rickie,

I consider myself to be introverted about most things. The way i've found to make friends is just being nice and introducing myself to some one, then asking questions about them and trying to connect with them on an intellectual level. Relating things you read about it your studies or your books may be a way to find friends through knowledge you two hold in common. Easier said than done, I know but never underestimate "the power of the question".-zach de la rocha

hope this helps
-Ryan

Hi Ryan,
Wish it was that easy for me.. I do the hello, introduce myself, the small talk but thats where it stops. Unless the other person starts talking about something of interest it really doesn't go anywhere.

BlueLotus Wrote:Hi rickie,

I consider myself to be introverted about most things. The way i've found to make friends is just being nice and introducing myself to some one, then asking questions about them and trying to connect with them on an intellectual level. Relating things you read about it your studies or your books may be a way to find friends through knowledge you two hold in common. Easier said than done, I know but never underestimate "the power of the question".-zach de la rocha

hope this helps
-Ryan

I consider myself an introvert. Unable to sustain a meaningful conversation with anyone unless the subject is interesting to me. I often feel that I am so because I don't indulge in gossip and hearsay.have you noticed how much of the daily 'conversation' is about rumours and 'news' that concerns a third person??

I kinda walk the line. I do desire to be around interesting people and need stimulating conversation but I'm pretty quiet. Unless I have a segway into a conversation people usually have to come to me.

My BF is more introverted than I am, and I have learned to accommodate this difference in what "feeds" us. I do not pressure him to take part in social situations that make him uncomfortable, and he sometimes brings his own car when we go out so he can leave if he wants to.

Does is it bother your guy that you are less social than he is?

One of the first things my therapist told me years ago that I was an introvert pretending to be an extrovert to protect the introvert.......huh?

I am not sure if she is correct or not.....still trying to decide after all this time as I am fairly social but I do love and need my alone time.....

I get drained sometimes when I am around a lot of people...

I am most attracted to intense introverts....my BF is an intense introvert

YES, thats how I feel. If the conversation is interesting to me when I could join in and talk about it. Its has a meaning to it. Not into gossip talk. But if someone approach me to talk, I freeze up until whatever they stay is interesting...

deepu69 Wrote:I consider myself an introvert. Unable to sustain a meaningful conversation with anyone unless the subject is interesting to me. I often feel that I am so because I don't indulge in gossip and hearsay.have you noticed how much of the daily 'conversation' is about rumours and 'news' that concerns a third person??

No, it doesn't bother him that I'm less social. Think he's used to it. He always been a very independent person. Would go out shopping, gym, bar or club with friends, etc on his own. I tend to stay home and just relax and read.

ShiftyNJ Wrote:My BF is more introverted than I am, and I have learned to accommodate this difference in what "feeds" us. I do not pressure him to take part in social situations that make him uncomfortable, and he sometimes brings his own car when we go out so he can leave if he wants to.

Does is it bother your guy that you are less social than he is?

Would be great if I could learn how to segway my way into a conversation Smile

BrianNorth Wrote:I kinda walk the line. I do desire to be around interesting people and need stimulating conversation but I'm pretty quiet. Unless I have a segway into a conversation people usually have to come to me.