Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intrusive or Helpful
Okay, I was given a choice to fill out a survey at work today. The basis of the survey is to allow the company a broader understanding of the people working for them... it is suppose to make everyone aware of tolerance and respect for everyone. So there were many personal questions, including sexual orientation.

Now, I chose to fill out the survey, I wasn't forced. But I wonder if it is really something the company had a right to ask. I only ask because there was someone else in the room while I was filling it out. This person was also doing the survey, and there was a question about being transgendered. The guy looks at me and asked "what's transgendered", so I answered and he laughed. Then he jokingly asked "Hmm, I wonder if I can be a lesbian". Since there was just the two of us, I just replied "well, you might want to reconsider the transgender question." However, if there was anyone else in the room, I would have responded differently.

Now, is it really proper for a company to compile information like that, even if it is optional and anonymous? What are your thoughts? I personally don't care since I really don't feel like I have anything to hide. But some might find it intrusive.

Probably not right to ask you to fill it out in those circumstances.

However on the other hand how are Senior management to find out whether the company is actually a welcoming place to work or a very homophobic one?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Yeah theirs supposed to be something out about gay friendly work places etc... so it could be a reaction to that.

fredv3b Wrote:Probably not right to ask you to fill it out in those circumstances.

However on the other hand how are Senior management to find out whether the company is actually a welcoming place to work or a very homophobic one?

Sorry to be picky but why did you say "a very homophobic one?", its like saying, or a very anti semitic one, or a very sexist one?

I'm asking because XRIMO never said the survey at his work was about sexuality..

sweetlad86 Wrote:Sorry to be picky but why did you say "a very homophobic one?", its like saying, or a very anti semitic one, or a very sexist one?

I'm asking because XRIMO never said the survey at his work was about sexuality..

There is nothing wrong with being picky. You are quite right that the same point applies to all different forms of discrimination. I suppose though that sexual orientation can be a secret (no one can be secretly Black) therefore the method of asking is important.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I thought most places of employment asked these kinda questions now as they want to increase diversity amongst the work place.

I know local government are really up on this, I personally don't think it's a bad thing

Star Twister Wrote:I thought most places of employment asked these kinda questions now as they want to increase diversity amongst the work place.

I know local government are really up on this, I personally don't think it's a bad thing

I think its complete bollocks and they wont get that personal detail out of me consireding the amount of assholes out their.

I never said it was a good thing either Confusedmile:

fredv3b Wrote:There is nothing wrong with being picky. You are quite right that the same point applies to all different forms of discrimination. I suppose though that sexual orientation can be a secret (no one can be secretly Black) therefore the method of asking is important.

I agree too Fred. It's just something that gets me going when people think only gay or black people get discriminated against, but other people get discriminated against too..

I am SO in two minds about this :confused:

I understand that in order to be able to provide proper services and support, accurate information MAY be needed, but I can't help thinking that we should be aiming for a society (and that includes micro-societies like workplaces) where all can feel valued and welcomed. Shouldn't it be assumed that there will be people of of all kinds of minorities among us who should not feel threatened for being who they are?

The last I read was that the 2011 census was going to contain a question about the sexual orientation of everyone in every household. How does that help people, particularly young people, not yet ready to come out? Yet, until we are all prepared to stand up and literally be counted ... :confused:

Sometimes I think we have a culture that collects, stores and processes data simply because the technology is there (as well as loses that on laptops left on trains or on memory sticks at the dry cleaners), not because it is necessarily going to make things better. It is only going to become more intrusive in the future.

Civil Partnerships may be a public declaration of one's sexuality, but has anyone seen a photograph in any local paper of the smiling same-sex couple among the wedding photographs? Could it be that we haven't because most of us think it is probably safer not to?