Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irish baker loses appeal
No, it doesn'tmean that it has lost its attraction but that it has lost its appeal in court over the right to not make a wedding cake for a gay couple because it was against their religious belief.

The law comes down in favour of LGBT rights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32791239

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-new...er-9114749
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

They'd probably take offence at being called 'Irish', since Northern Irish Protestants tend to be not only unionist but insist that they are British. Some even insist that 'Ireland' is a foreign country.

I think this case was about their refusal to bake a cake that said something like, "Support gay marriage." Slightly different from just refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding. I'm not really sure what to think about this. You could say that they were refusing a particular service rather than refusing to serve particular people (it would be interesting to see if they would do a cake for a gay wedding). Also, this thing is going to turn them into martyrs. I think a boycott would be more appropriate. On the other hand, I just assumed they were a small business but, apparently, they have lots of branches so maybe this sort of thing shouldn't be tolerated from them. If that makes any sense.

Very similar to a U case. The bakery didn't win here either.
I bid NO Trump!

Good good. It's heartening to see this sort of progress in what was such a fiercely religious country.

One one hand I'm mildly enjoying the fact that some religious bullshit got legally stomped on. There is always a little warmth and comfort running through my veins,a very morphine-like feeling, when I read stuff like this.

On the other hand I just don't see the relevance of something so ridiculously trivial as a wedding cake.

Are you telling me they wouldn't have found at least one bloody person to bake them one they liked? They chose to make a fuss instead.

Much more serious, in my opinion was the doctor that refuse to tend to the child of a lesbian couple, I don't even remember where. Something like this on THAT situation would certainly be more important an achievement because the situation is a 100 times more serious.

Baby steps, I suppose.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

himself Wrote:I think this case was about their refusal to bake a cake that said something like, "Support gay marriage." Slightly different from just refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

You're quite correct, it wasn't a wedding cake. I got a bit carried away. It was a cake in support of gay marriage. I posted that quite late at night and realised my mistake once I was in bed and was too lazy to get up, switch on the computer again to correct myself.

This was the cake in question:

[Image: cf5cafb3b40ebba19c081ab3d6ed3b8d4313506c...1024020447]
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams