Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is COVID19 "cure" worse than the disease?
This is something a lot of people were warning about back in April/May/June as the states started going into lockdown mode...

Are there more deaths because of the COVID19 lockdown, then deaths from COVID19?

https://townhall.com/columnists/bradslag...9-n2574754

Quote:“At Denver Health and other large hospitals across the metro area, the number of people showing up with cardiac emergencies dropped significantly as the state imposed increasingly strict measures encouraging people to stay at home to slow the virus’ spread,” the article states. This was a verifiable fact. The amount of ambulance usage had gone down immediately after the lockdown orders, and parallel to that, those dying from cardiac problems at home spiked. 

In that period the amount of home-based cardiac arrests doubled, and the deaths from heart attacks exceeded those of Covid-19 cases. 

Nobody (I hope) told people they couldn’t go to the hospital for heart problems or other serious illnesses.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

I remember this being an issue at the very beginning, people with health emergencies staying home to either try to wait it out so they don't have to add to the number of patients in the hospital or afraid they might get the virus from someone if they go. I actually faced this little dilemma last week, there was a gas leak at work and I felt sick but I  chose to go to an urgent care center that didn't do covid testing but they couldn't check me for carbon monoxide poison. I did end up going to the ER where I found out I did so I'm glad I went, and I'm ready to sue the shit out of my job if I see one dr bill in the mail. Angry
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

@ceez why were they unable to check you for CO poisoning?

@"kindy64"
I do think other factors contributed. People staying at home and not doing their normal activities too, eating more, etc. Not sure how you would measure that or determine how much that would have factored in...

Statistically speaking, I would say COVID has still killed more people than the side effects of the stay at home orders. Plus not to mention the nasty effects of "recovering" from COVID-19. One of my co-workers, their whole family was diagnosed with it and her daughter, who is a child, not a teenager, has a blood clot in her arm from it. So I wouldn't go around pushing the notion that the "cure," as you put it, is worse than COVID-19 itself, I think that is a bit reckless.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • James

Life for the senior population has became a little more difficult, however, most hospitals here are practicing good hygiene practices. Bleach kills everything so used a a cleaning agent works well. Sometimes run out of food before the next social security check but with direct deposit don't have to depend on the mail service. Neighbor's two doors up just ended up with their grandchild as their daughter, a druggy, has been taken to jail with warrants and child endangerment. Expenses go up pay is the same. Let them use my car to buy food, doctor appointments and the rx that keeps them alive. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one, yes I stole that from Spock Genesis, just my thoughts, Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]
[-] The following 1 member Likes James's post:
  • ceez

@InbetweenDreams the dr said that they didn't have the equipment for it, I didn't think to ask if they could check for it until after I was called to be seen. I should have known better really, urgent care centers are just good for minor sicknesses and strained muscles.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying kindy, but don’t take that personally or as a reflection on you because I only ever come here anymore when I’m drunk. Do you think we would better off if we just didn’t react to the spread of covid?

Yes Covid has had a major impact on all facets of society. You’re right about that.

Might be, as some seem to have forgotten that Covid isn't the only disease in the world and people are still dying from heart attacks, strokes, cancer (which's treatments were halted in many places because of Covid, allowing cancer to get worse).

Even though my country isn't always the best, right now I'm glad to be living here because the Covid panic has stopped and people again have started to take care of things that have always been more important than Covid.

(08-22-2020, 10:09 PM)ceez Wrote: @InbetweenDreams  the dr said that they didn't have the equipment for it, I didn't think to ask if they could check for it until after I was called to be seen. I should have known better really, urgent care centers are just good for minor sicknesses and strained muscles.

I thought that certain pulse oximeters can measure CO...and they do but it's not the one they normally use and I guess don't have at urgent care centers. I still find it odd though. At any rate I hope you're feeling better.

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/8...0analyzers.

(08-23-2020, 01:33 AM)Emiliano Wrote: Do you think we would better off if we just didn’t react to the spread of covid?

Yes Covid has had a major impact on all facets of society. You’re right about that.

I'll let him give his own answer on that but the correct answer is *no* we would be far far worse if did absolutely nothing. The US has about ~2.8 million deaths annually from all causes, COVID-19 has accounted for about 6% so far, that is in addition to everything else. The unfortunate truths of a pandemic is that yes some people will die from something not related or due to covid but because they can't get treatment for something else. About a month ago at the peak of cases around Atlanta, GA just about every hospital around the region was full, the ER's were full, the ICU's were full. So yeah, during this time, it's isn't a good time to have a heart attack, not that it is ever a good time.

(08-23-2020, 10:05 AM)Tjemka88 Wrote: Might be, as some seem to have forgotten that Covid isn't the only disease in the world and people are still dying from heart attacks, strokes, cancer (which's treatments were halted in many places because of Covid, allowing cancer to get worse).

Even though my country isn't always the best, right now I'm glad to be living here because the Covid panic has stopped and people again have started to take care of things that have always been more important than Covid.

Did I read your post wrong or do you think COVID-19 is a bunch of bullshit?
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • ceez

This isn't about the past, it's about where we are right now.  We should be moving faster to safely open the economy as much as possible.  

Keep in mind, 0 new cases and 0 new deaths is an UNREALISTIC GOAL.  Even waiting for an effective vaccine is an unrealistic goal.

The lockdowns were to "flatten the curve." What that was to provide us was a delay in amount of hospitalized cases in order not to overwhelm them.  Remember way back when governors were saying we need a 2 week lock down, how many months ago?

Are we past that point yet?  A lot of data seems to suggest that in most places we are. Meanwhile some data is showing a leap in other deaths like suicide and drug overdoses.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08-p...htens.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/heal...191251001/

This has a couple of interesting graphs you can look at.

https://covidgraph.com/usa/