Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is TV gay enough?
Hi!!!

At a time when gay rights are re-emerging as an election year issue, I think that depictions of gay characters on television play a big role in making viewers more comfortable with their gay, lesbian and transgender neighbors.

Although TV has definitely made progress, I think most gay characters still emphasize heteronormativity and underscore mainstream values.

What do you think? Is TV gay enough? Confusedmile:

I think where are a lot of positive strong gay men and ladies in shows a few years ago. Recently this has tapered off tho.

for example Omar Devone Little in The Wire 2002-2008 a HBO show
[Image: Michael_K_Williams_sexy_02.jpg]
[Image: omar4.jpg]
[Image: the-wire-rewind-dead-soldiers-omar_artic...y_main.jpg]
[Image: The%20Wire%20-%20Omar.jpg]

I think television is still too stereotypical.

shutterfly Wrote:Hi!!!

Although TV has definitely made progress, I think most gay characters still emphasize heteronormativity and underscore mainstream values.

What do you think? Is TV gay enough? Confusedmile:

Hi Shutterfly Wavey welcome Confusedmile: .

When you say that most Gay characters on Tv show or emphasize heteronormativity, are you talking about "gender roles" / parodism of heterosexuality?

Because, although many Gays are not this way, there are some who don't mind it.

It's counterproductive to discriminate for any reason [Gender roles/strictly top or bottom], because in the end, we're all part of the same community and we're all humans.

I get that some gays don't like the fact that when they say they're gay to someone, that person puts them in a box or category, but why does it matter that your versatile/top/bottom or whatever? Does everyone have to know where you lay in the relationship?

Will & Grace was probably the earliest indicator of this. You could never tell wether Will was a bottom or top or even versatile, even though he acted slightly flamboyant and in the end it didn't matter. Same for Jack, although he acts more like a stereotype "bottom" , we never knew.

So to actually answer the question :redface: , I think it depends. Non-gay producers are ofcourse going to write/produce works based on either their understanding of their sexual orientation or the perceived notion of a gay/lesbian/bi/transgender relationships.

People have to realize that all we are, are just animals who can think, and that all this gay/straight/bi/lesbian/transgender stuff really shouldn't be so important, let alone what "roles" we play, because at the end of the day, we're all the same, we just have different desires than the next person.

Hi!
Thanks for your answers so far Smile

Yes QueenOdi, I was referring to traditional gender patterns. If you take Will&Grace for example, the foucs is always on the "relationship" between Will and Grace - a man and a woman. In some scenes you could actually mistake them for a heterosexual couple. In this way however, gay characters were made accessible to a mainstream audience. Ellen, in contrast focused on gay storylines only and unfortunately failed in the end...

I just intended to get opinions concerning the depiction of GLB characters on the small screen.
So keep 'em coming Smile

shutterfly Wrote:Hi!
Thanks for your answers so far Smile

Yes QueenOdi, I was referring to traditional gender patterns. If you take Will&Grace for example, the foucs is always on the "relationship" between Will and Grace - a man and a woman. In some scenes you could actually mistake them for a heterosexual couple. In this way however, gay characters were made accessible to a mainstream audience. Ellen, in contrast focused on gay storylines only and unfortunately failed in the end...

I just intended to get opinions concerning the depiction of GLB characters on the small screen.
So keep 'em coming Smile

Which kind of helps my point. Will was gay, but was hard to tell unless you saw him with a man or doing something outwardly gay. Which is true for some gays today.

As for depictions, I think freedom of expression is everyone's right. If someone calls me a big flaming fag, then yes! Yes I am, because that's what you see me as, then so be it.

People stress over appearances and how people perceive them, even myself sometimes[when I make myself pretty Dazzler1 ], but you have you look at it this way;

A straight man sees a gay man swinging his hips, ergo all gay men swing their hips, because to him he doesn't internally know, nor is he knowledgable of the gay lifestyle or gay life in general.

You can't [or maybe you can] try to change someone's mind once they already have an opinion of you, so the only thing you can do, is be the best you, you can be and it might even possibly prove them wrong about their views and might make them like you.

I'm probably the strangest gay person you'll ever come across, on the internet and in real life, I don't want to stress about things that don't require it. I try to see past the fight and focus on the good things and not let things under my skin.

I applaud you guys for fighting for our cause and what not, but it's not something I'm overly concerned about.

I just thought I'd put my weird thoughts out there. :biggrin: .

I totally agree but at the same time TV can play a negative role in LGBT rights. Some shows (Glee) make their gay characters totally unrealistic. Many times in the media gays and lesbians are portrayed as promiscuous, flamboyant, sex-crazed weirdos. This can give people the wrong idea about gays. However the fact that homosexuality is even being introduced or discussed in many popular TV shows does help LGBT issues become a more mainstream issue that many are familiar with.

pridepancakes21 Wrote:I totally agree but at the same time TV can play a negative role in LGBT rights. Some shows (Glee) make their gay characters totally unrealistic. Many times in the media gays and lesbians are portrayed as promiscuous, flamboyant, sex-crazed weirdos. This can give people the wrong idea about gays. However the fact that homosexuality is even being introduced or discussed in many popular TV shows does help LGBT issues become a more mainstream issue that many are familiar with.

I also agree with you, very insightful actually Confusedmile: .

But like I said, people see others differently then how they actually are, so they're going to portray them that way, however inaccurate. But then again, all notions have to come from somewhere, no matter how old.

But in the end, I agree. It's ultimately a matter of opinions and no opinion is right or wrong or better or worse. :biggrin:

Dont mind me... I'm just a hippie :tongue:

I hope they come out with a show with non-stereotypical gay people like myself so people can stop thinking we're all sex crazed flamers blasting lady gaga where ever we go. I do love the gay couple from Modern Family though Confusedmile:
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

ceez Wrote:I hope they come out with a show with non-stereotypical gay people like myself so people can stop thinking we're all sex crazed flamers blasting lady gaga where ever we go. I do love the gay couple from Modern Family though Confusedmile:

You don't want to be a flaming queen who loves lady gaga? Cry

Well, that leaves more room for me :biggrin: j/k.

I also love the gay couple on Modern Family, especially cause you would assume Cam is the bottom, but you don't know Wink. I love the ambiguity.

Also, I thought there was a non-stereotypical show about gay people... Is it not called Batman? :biggrin: