Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is TV gay enough?
QueenOdi Wrote:Also, I thought there was a non-stereotypical show about gay people... Isn't called Batman? :biggrin:

lol, yes, the oldest gay couple. I watched one of the newest animated movies and I swear if you somehow never heard of batman you would think they were a couple.:biggrin:
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

ceez Wrote:lol, yes, the oldest gay couple. I watched one of the newest animated movies and I swear if you somehow never heard of batman you would think they were a couple.:biggrin:

Ofcourse.

A big strapping man in spandex living with a younger, subservient sidkick... who would in their right mind think they're a couple? Wink

pellaz Wrote:I think where are a lot of positive strong gay men and ladies in shows a few years ago. Recently this has tapered off tho.

for example Omar Devone Little in The Wire 2002-2008 a HBO show
Maybe we're just blending in more and more, no longer stick out like a sore thumb???

On the other hand more visibility in tv programmes has made it possible for people like Joseph to state and be proud of who they are, so I guess the representation can't be all that bad, even if it is sometimes stereotypical.

Aren't most TV characters unrealistic, and often promiscuous and/or a stereotype, regardless of sexual orientation?

I admit I don't watch a lot of TV but they seem so, from How I Met Your Mother to CSI, which I suppose why it's called entertainment (that is, gossip worthy). Even Nickelodeon (a channel for kids that competes with Disney) hints at promiscuity (like one show where boys & girls frequently make use of a closet, and a friend told me of lesbian subtext in it).

In the UK TV is getting away with more and more gayness and one program i know of easttenders pushes the boat and u get the bible bashers phone up the company who is responsible for complaints and the company says usually Get a grip its the 21st century! I think if TV got more gay my set would be pink to match the program

Well it's certainly a lot more than when I was in secondary school, I can think of maybe 5 or 6 scripted shows with regular LGBT characters. 10 years ago the only ones were Queer as Folk, Ellen (cancelled like immediately after she came out), and the later seasons of Buffy.

Hetero-normality is the new gay.

Actually its the old gay, the real old gay before gays stood up for their rights and became 'out' and 'obvious'.

Gays and straights pretty much want the same thing, to have a decent job, a home, a partner, kids perhaps. To live, let live, grow old with their love and eventually die leaving the world to their kids and grand-kids.

Like it or not, your urbanized, gay-ghetto dwelling swishy queen is not representative of the majority of gay males. The leather wearing, fat, short haired bull-dike is not representative of most lesbians. These are stereotypes - roles cast by a narrow minded society that made up all of these weird behaviors and applies them to all gays, all lesbians - as a way to identify the difference and thus have a 'good reason' to bash the gay/lesbian.

TV and media presents society with unrealistic views on what most LGBT are really like.

We are like doctors, lawyers, police officers, fire fighters, construction workers, laborers, parents, grand parents - you name the walk of life and you will find LGBT there.

IF and when TV and movies and all of the media outlets start portraying the majority as being 'hetero-acting' meaning 'normal' or just plain human, then they will be depicting real LGBT not the stereotype.

Not all gays like musicals, not all gays have a sense of fashion, not all gays lisp, not all gays swish - But according to the media that is exactly what we do - apparently.

I do not like TV in general. Most of the programing is sophomoric, predictable writing, predictable story-lines centered around impossible people who always speak perfectly, dress perfectly and use first names in excess. It is simply a filler between the real purpose of TV which is advertisement, selling us all more crap we neither need nor which is good for us or our world.

TV never shows it as it really is - not even the news tells the truth.

I can hardly wait until this form of entertainment passes into history like the Gladiator games did.

I have to say that Six Feet Under (2001-2005) portrayed a pretty accurate gay relationship. A little bit over dramatic, but otherwise OK. The characters were Keith (a cop) and David (a mortician) and interracial to boot! They even ended up adopting kids in the last season.

Pretty out there show, but I enjoyed it. I sang in a production with the Claire character (Lauren Ambrose) and hadn't heard of the series until then. She's a cool person and now a friend and a totally gay friendly hetero with an equally accepting husband.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Hetero-normality is the new gay.

Actually its the old gay, the real old gay before gays stood up for their rights and became 'out' and 'obvious'.

Gays and straights pretty much want the same thing, to have a decent job, a home, a partner, kids perhaps. To live, let live, grow old with their love and eventually die leaving the world to their kids and grand-kids.

Like it or not, your urbanized, gay-ghetto dwelling swishy queen is not representative of the majority of gay males. The leather wearing, fat, short haired bull-dike is not representative of most lesbians. These are stereotypes - roles cast by a narrow minded society that made up all of these weird behaviors and applies them to all gays, all lesbians - as a way to identify the difference and thus have a 'good reason' to bash the gay/lesbian.

TV and media presents society with unrealistic views on what most LGBT are really like.

We are like doctors, lawyers, police officers, fire fighters, construction workers, laborers, parents, grand parents - you name the walk of life and you will find LGBT there.

IF and when TV and movies and all of the media outlets start portraying the majority as being 'hetero-acting' meaning 'normal' or just plain human, then they will be depicting real LGBT not the stereotype.

Not all gays like musicals, not all gays have a sense of fashion, not all gays lisp, not all gays swish - But according to the media that is exactly what we do - apparently.

I do not like TV in general. Most of the programing is sophomoric, predictable writing, predictable story-lines centered around impossible people who always speak perfectly, dress perfectly and use first names in excess. It is simply a filler between the real purpose of TV which is advertisement, selling us all more crap we neither need nor which is good for us or our world.

TV never shows it as it really is - not even the news tells the truth.

I can hardly wait until this form of entertainment passes into history like the Gladiator games did.

I think the only place where TV shines as a medium is when it portrays unrealistic, imaginative and unusual scenarios.(like sci-fi, animation, horror, fantasy, ETC.)

Frankly, 90% of the time where it tries to simulate "real life", it falls flat on it's face.
Using tired stereotypes, or even if they somehow avoid that, have characters which just don't behave like real people would.

While some people may be ok with that; it can fool people into thinking some of these portrayals have truth to them.
I think how often we have people come to this site saying something like "I think i may be gay, but i don't act gay at all." could be contributed to this, to some degree anyway.

I'd guess TV has around 40 years before going extinct, at least.
Thanks primarily to the internet.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so