Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is alcoholism and excessive drinking a problem where you live?
Oh well we do have a reputation for it, esp the Irish and I know you mean, where I lived last year was right in the town center near two pubs and a kebab shop and from thursday to sunday theres pretty much fighting and arguing every night and one time getting woken up by screaming at 3am in the morning and seeing all sorts of funny things and occasionally cops and quite often its a couple arguing and its so f***ing ridiculous it can last for hours and having been all around the uk i know you cant really escape it.

We need to cull the population right? :biggrin:

Yeah its sad but not that new to us, drinking culture.

Alcoholism in Albuquerque? Never!!!

Oh wait, nevermind. I can't even step out my front door without running into either a drunk hobo begging for change (for more booze) or a crazy crack whore. Yeah, it's definitely a problem here. It's even worse in my neighborhood, specifically. I'm was just talking to someone today about being roommates just so I could afford a better place elsewhere.

Sylph Wrote:But looking out(yes at the UK), it looks like y'all get too carried away and is what we call(adopted from Americans) "White Boy wasted" = which is basically when you drink till you black out :

And we do good at getting carried away!

Here is two famous paintings "Beer street and gin lane 1751"

These were made to support the "gin act" because of the drinking culture the "foreign cheap poison" had created it the UK.

"Gin lane" shows the evils of gin whilst "Beer street" shows good Ol english ale as a healthy substitute!

[Image: ytabapam.jpg]

"Beer street" is on the left. "Gin Lane" has the drunk woman dropping her baby! (Its famous)

So yeah, 260 years ago…

^^,

in the town I live in there's nothing to do but drink and the cities east of us are full of bars and clubs. in one of the near by cities they have what is called "beach week", all the spring breakers go to a strip of bars and clubs, get trashed, fights break out, people get stabbed and sometimes shot.

funny story, I once went to court for a traffic ticket and while I was there the lady before me got pulled over at 1pm for drunk driving. the cop said when he pulled her over she stopped in the middle of an intersection :o
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Here I guess it's not a big problem.. but I guess just like other countries, there's a big percentage of population which is into drinking alcoho. It can be a problem when they get into trouble and fight, worse, they can kill somebody. Most of the terrible news here, rape, road accidents, murders, riots etc happened mostly because the person is under the influence of alcohol..

partis Wrote:So yeah, 260 years ago…

And going further back...this should bring back memories (assuming he can remember this at all after his drinking game) for Bowyn Aerrow:

(May want to skip from about :30-1:30)

Live in a college town whose only claim to fame is being voted "biggest party college town in America" like 20 years ago by Playboy magazine. Drinking, and drinking related deaths / incidents is a HUGE problem here. I refuse to leave the house on weekend nights.

I wouldn't say it's a very big problem in Norway. Sometimes you can see someone staggering over the street or yelling at 4am, but usually it happens around New Year or other celebration. I believe we have now more problems with spice then alcohol.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:You folk are wild.. which is why we in the colonies just had to separate ourselves from you... Wink
You're not part of the Empire any more? Jeez I'm behind the times, I need to catch up ;-)

On a serious note, the British were complete bastards in the past. I feel quite ashamed about some of our past exploits abroad Sad

Tulloni Wrote:I don't want to make it sound like Baghdad or Kabul

No, it would take Western Powers to bomb away for any place to turn into Baghdad or Kabul. Rolleyes

I don't live in a place like you describe. But certainly alcohol is a problem here. The biggest danger is that people drink excessively and nothing is seemingly wrong about that. It is socially imposed (not even accepted, imposed).

Recently a series of harsh laws of zero-tolerance on alcohol for drivers have been implemented mainly because car crashes had become the number 2 cause of death for people here, just behind cancer. It has been working cause people are risking heavy fines and a revoked license if they were found with as much as a bit out of the norm in alcohol levels.

Other than that, I'm afraid not much control on alcohol is being pursued.

Locations with alcohol licenses are less fiscalized.

Legal drinking age is 18 but that doesn't stop 16 year old from getting wasted. Quite sad.

Sader when you think that added value tax is implemented on books here. It costs you less money to get wasted than to get educated.

If anything I would suggest to put a major tax on alcohol and tobacco and remove the one from books. But maybe I am being naive.