Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The rise of nationalism in Europe
The world is itching for war. Too many people, not enough jobs.

freelandia Wrote:The world is itching for war. Too many people, not enough jobs.

The world is already at war.. Let's just be thankful it's not in our frontyard. War is silly, one would think we were smarter than that...

Not like WW2 or WW1. WW2 was not a silly war because there was an evil man to destroy. War was necessary.

freelandia Wrote:Not like WW2 or WW1. WW2 was not a silly war because there was an evil man to destroy. War was necessary.

WWII was the good war… at least for the Allies.

We need nationalism, without it we will be forced into a dictatorship one world government

I guess this thread is kind of relevant once again, with the result of the EU election in mind.

In Sweden, my native country, 10% of the adult population voted for a xenophobic, homophobic and misogynist political party, inefficiently disguised as a collective of peaceful and friendly nationalists.

In France, Front National received 25% of all votes; a party whose founder and honorary chairman described the ebola virus as a possible solution to certain demographical problems.

There are many other similar parties spread throughout Europe; Jobbik and Danish People's Party spring to mind. Cold winds are blowing indeed, and I mourn for the desperate and impoverished masses that grant power to racism, misogyny and homophobia in an attempt to revitalize society as they once knew it.

This shit is cyclical. These right wing-loon parties usually selfdistruct as they are often build around one or 2 charismatic "leaders" who are able to bundle all different streams of unhappy voters behind them. As soon as those leaders step down/resign/are kicked to the curb the party implodes in infighting and the voters turn back to the mainstream parties who in the meantime have adopted some new rhetoric to reel them back in.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

Bhp91126 Wrote:This shit is cyclical. These right wing-loon parties usually selfdistruct as they are often build around one or 2 charismatic "leaders" who are able to bundle all different streams of unhappy voters behind them. As soon as those leaders step down/resign/are kicked to the curb the party implodes in infighting and the voters turn back to the mainstream parties who in the meantime have adopted some new rhetoric to reel them back in.

I can't really make a proper assessment of the situation in other European countries, but where Sweden is concerned I'm afraid I can't really agree. More than anything, this xenophobic rise to power seems to origin from a growing dissatisfcation with the establishment. Because of the recent decrease in overall welfare, immigrants and the immigration system as a whole becomes a scapegoat instead of the more likely causes, such as the recent financial crisis. Not only is there a pervading sense that one's cultural and traditional identity is being replaced by multi-culturalism and foreign values, but people seem to have completely lost their trust in established political parties.

Because of these reasons, an alarming number of people vote for the only anti-immigration party available with reasonable political significance; a party whose members embody racism, misogony and homophobia. These things are believed by many to be irrelevant or even non-existent in the first place. There are LGBT people who vote for them, and there are women who vote for them. This is partially due to misinformation and ignorance, but overall people have just reached a point of unbelievable desperation - severe enough for them to ignore all the aforementioned flaws.