Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is being Gay and open more dangerous now?
HA you're back daz!
You weren't gone long!

I had something to say

And I hope you always have something to say.
Would not be the same with out you. And being gay is way more safe now (In some places that you're allowed to be gay in)

Joshular Wrote:And I hope you always have something to say.
Would not be the same with out you. And being gay is way more safe now (In some places that you're allowed to be gay in)

Sit on my lap and just watch the forums, something is brewing, then you can tell me what pops up Wink

I don't think it is harder now.

So many issues that occured in the past, like the aids epidemic, public perception that homosexuality = pedophilia, gay bashings (say what you will but they are NOT tolerated now, and once they were), are all problems that are slowly going away.

Something that used to happen in my community, which older family members told me when they learned I was gay: Families used to literally hide gay children away in their attics, and quietly send them away where they could never shame their family again. While this can still happen, we have things like child protective services that will fight for the children of parents doing things like this, if they come forward.

We also have laws protecting us in many countries. In my country, it is illegal to discriminate against me, or anyone, for being gay. This is a new interpretation in the law (In Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms, we are protected: This interpretation is relatively new). We are legally equal, and increasingly we are becoming so.

More and more often, we can get married, meaning we can't have our loved ones stolen from us by vengeful bigoted families when they become critically ill, or die. This used to happen often, and more often it can't.

Another thing we have now is countless support groups and resources for LGBT youth, so you know, we realize we aren't evil while we're growing up, which literally translates into more lives.

A huge point: Homophobia is NOT cool, it is not socially acceptable with youth anymore, intense homophobia is a turn off. This means that on a personal level, many people in society are accepting of homosexuals.

Even in countries like Russia and Nigeria, where homosexuality is definitely NOT safe, the fact that there is controversy surrounding the topic means that homosexuality will never be locked away at the professional level again; which means that even a negative response is an opportunity. Think of it this way: These countries, who are definitely not accepting of the idea, are being forced into having a response. This response is giving recognition to the issue, making is such that it will never be ignored again.

A lot of social pressures are gone now too. Married by 18? Say good bye to that norm, it's never coming back. The idea that if you didn't have a child you were useless? Also an outdated idea. These realities are making it more normal for homosexuals to exist, as less value is being given to the ideas of people being married and having children. Don't get me wrong: It's still important, but it's not the only thing that gives a person worth any more (although to be fair: These ideas began to wane with birth control which was being introduced in the 70s/80s).

I will say though: Homosexuality is well known now. People know it's real, and it's not rare. People can identify homosexuals based on cues that weren't well known decades back. This does pose risk, but it does not undo everything that LGBTS are gained.

Do you read posts from older members here? Not just people from the 80s, but the 70s, 60s, 50s? I have respect that they simply managed to survive. I am thankful I was born in the 90s, which is where battles for equality finally began to reach a turning point... meaning I'm entering adulthood as a person with equal rights and a privilege the generation before me didn't have.

So TL;DR: No, I don't agree with you. Increasingly, homosexuals are legally equal, and increasingly regarded as socially equal to their peers. This was simply not the reality decades back.

I feel like it was a taboo thing then, but no one really cared if you were, as long as it wasn't being shoved in your face. Today it isn't as taboo, but it's definitely dangerous in some parts to be out. Luckily where I live it isn't bad to be out. Here and there you'll get looks, but nothing crazy.

I've been assaulted a couple of times because I'm so openly gay.

JAB5239 Wrote:I've been assaulted a couple of times because I'm so openly gay.

Bighug

So sorry to hear this

I guess it really depends on the community where you are living...

Here in our place, they are pretty much tolerant.

Though still, some people here would frown upon seeing openly gay people (mostly older people & the religious), however, they dont really make you suffer or what.

Just happy my country is pretty gay friendly...or tolerant. A lot of personalities here as well are gay and they are adored by the masses. Like for example, the Top Grossing Film in the entire Philippine Movies History stars an openly gay man as the main protagonist.

So yeah it depends on where you are

Evan88 Wrote:I guess it really depends on the community where you are living...

Here in our place, they are pretty much tolerant.

Though still, some people here would frown upon seeing openly gay people (mostly older people & the religious), however, they dont really make you suffer or what.

Just happy my country is pretty gay friendly...or tolerant. A lot of personalities here as well are gay and they are adored by the masses. Like for example, the Top Grossing Film in the entire Philippine Movies History stars an openly gay man as the main protagonist.

So yeah it depends on where you are

whooops kiri! go vice! xD