Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is film better or worse than before
I think movies today are better, but probably more from a technology and delivery perspective.

Im a gadget/technology guy, and I love the HD/3D/ATX that the cinema can immerse you in while watching a blockbuster.

For every film that makes it to blockbuster status, there are numerous that bomb. I watched 47 Ronin earlier this week. Absolutely stunning movie (and not just because of a rather rugged looking Keanu Reeves either!) but I have a feeling it will bomb, simply because its not in the same league as The Matrix which we are accustomed to seeing Reeves in.

Yes there are lots of follow up's and remakes/franchise reboots. But to be honest I don't care. I go along to a a movie for the immersive environment in movies that I want to see, not what others necessarily recommend I see.

I could just watch it at home on my home cinema set up, but its not on the same par. No Ben and Gerry's on tap LoL.

Just my view

ObW
X

HumbleTangerine Wrote:Some people tend to idolize the past and antagonize the present - this is most common when it comes to music, it seems, but it applies to other artforms aswell.

Yes thats been mentioned. Though in some cases its true. Especially in art if you ask me.

It's not a question of being good or bad, better or worse.

What really bothers me about movies today is how 'normalized' and 'globalized' they have become, they all look and sound exactly the same.

Movies have become an industrial product, there's no room for art movies in big theatres anymore.

Well, I've noticed that there's been a lot of movies based from
books. I've had to be a little careful in picking out what movies to
watch mainly because I prefer to read the books first before ever
watching the movies. The movies are great, but half the time a lot of
it gets lost when translated into film.

partis Wrote:Yes thats been mentioned. Though in some cases its true. Especially in art if you ask me.

That's debatable of course, but I still believe that the works of art we remember from the past are ones where the general consensus is positive or at least neutral. I highly doubt movies made by Uwe Boll, for example, will be generally known in 30 years whereas the works of Nolan, the Coen brothers etc. (famous, mainstream and much liked modern directors) will remain at least somewhat well known.

Try, as an exercise, to list as many movies from the 20's and 30's you can think about. I find it extremely likely that most, if not all of the ones you're able to mention from the top of your head are ones that have been/still are popular in the eyes of critics, the public or both.

The same usually applies to literature. If you try to name as many books that are older than, say, 60-70 years as possible, you'll mostly come up with ones that you either have some personal connection to or, which I say is more likely, ones that are regarded as classics or historically relevant.

When it comes to music I always hear people talk about how there's no innovation and passion anymore, or that the lyrics in all modern music is awful; that all modern singers use auto-tune etc. That's just a prejudice based on a lack of exploration. I think I can mention around a hundred exceptions just from the top of my head.

There are lots of brilliant films in every decade..

The problem now with new movies is its common plot, we cant really blame them since there had been like hundreds of thousands of movies so you should not expect movies to be so unique and different from past films..

I also think movies these days are becoming more and more complex.. Unlike movies before like for example Breakfast at Tiffany's, are more light and easy to watch

However, people now have more expectations when it comes to visual, plot, etc.. Whereas before, people are easy to please.. I mean when the Titanic or Space Odyssey first came out, it was just wow, terrific..but watch it now there are so many flaws on the visual aspects.

Better Technology means greater demands and expectations from people..