Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should couples exchange passwords?
Is it common for people who are in a relationship to share passwords of their phone, email account, social media accounts etc.?

Is it a must in order to be in a healthy relationship?

I recently read through a relationship quiz and found one of the questions to be:
Would you trust each other with your social media passwords?

It says that it is a yes for healthy relationships.

I am single my whole life. If I happen to be in a relationship in the future, I might feel uncomfortable to share my password with my partner though.

What are your opinions about this?

No. I think you don't need to share absolutely everything with your partner. Some things should remain private and that includes passwords unless you're both sharing the same social media accounts.

Sharing social media passwords can build trust in a relationship. However, if someone wants to cheat, they will find a way, shared passwords or not. Discussing and if necessary sharing what you do online is part of a relationship.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

Not caring whether your partner accesses your social media or not is a sure indicator of nothing to hide, and knowing your partner is using secure passwords instead of lame ones that may put financials at risk is even more important, depending on how it's all set up and inter-related. "Having to share" your passwords beyond confirming they are adequately secure is an indicator of mistrust. Surveys with this type of question/results are not necessarily healthy or constructive if not very well developed by reputable sources. The main point of this particular "relationship quiz" is to determine what (I'm not looking for an answer)? The most important feature for health in relationships is balanced and respectful communications, not just transparency.
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

(01-02-2022, 02:04 PM)Anonymous Wrote: Is it common for people who are in a relationship to share passwords of their phone, email account, social media accounts etc.?

Is it a must in order to be in a healthy relationship?

I recently read through a relationship quiz and found one of the questions to be:
Would you trust each other with your social media passwords?

It says that it is a yes for healthy relationships.

I am single my whole life. If I happen to be in a relationship in the future, I might feel uncomfortable to share my password with my partner though.

What are your opinions about this?

Social media is garbage in all honesty but it is here to stay sadly.

I think the question is flawed because it all surrounds the issue of trust. If you refuse you can't be trusted, if they ask they don't trust you. If your partner has to have your social media password because they think they'll cheat on you then it's probably not going to work out in the long term.

Me personally, I would not share my passwords with my partner nor would I ask them for theirs. I don't feel that I need to have unfettered access to their phones, bank accounts, social media or anything else.

Some couples opt to share a social media account and that's perfectly fine.

Think about how much trouble a partner can cause when that relationship comes to an end. You got ex boyfriends who got your credit card information who rack up huge bills and all sorts of nefarious things.

That being said, if you're that comfortable with your partner and want to share all your stuff, fine, but I don't think it is a good idea nor do I think it is necessary.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!