Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is immigration within the EU too liberal?
Probably of only interest to Europeans who are members of the EU, this question is prompted by the imminent rights of the citizens of Bulgaria and Romania to travel and work freely within the European Union as from January.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2fdc67f0-575f-...z2lwrcWrvB

Of course the debate is that poorer members of the EU will claim benefits from richer members without first having made any contribution to the economy. Should curbs be put on poorer countries or should richer countries reach out to help them?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Yes with over a million UK citizens out of work, the "restrictions" on Romanian and Bulgarians coming to the UK, will expire, the restrictions included, to not employ these workers on a lower wage if the positions could be filled by UK residents, the ambassador to London has declared not one work permit was turned down, now these restrictions are lifted as greedy employes prepare to cash in far-eastern wages.

Yes its too liberal, this is nothing compared to the amount of actually convicted and wanted criminals that are here. Cameron talks tough on better regulations but all you have to do is read the papers.

Mmmhm, I understand the problem, and honestly I'm a little afraid about it, but hey, I don't think the Immigration is too liberal, we're in Europe, so is a good thing.

Honestly, my example: I'm Italian, I came to London roughly 1 year ago only buying a one-way flight ticket. Nothing else. I had my National Insurance Number, a bank account here, a Medical General Practitioner, I worked here etc. Is a very good thing. BUT.
Only in this year I saw many THOUSAND of Italians came here, only in London. And I read some news on the media...
Finding a job is difficult, and will become more difficult from the next January. I'm thinking about changing City cause I love London but I found Italians everywhere, and there's a reason (not only one but...) if I'm here and not there...
This is very annoying cause we're uneducated, chaotic, we speak a bad English (you know...) etc, but it's my fault if I cannot stand these things. So probably I will change place, maybe a less 'famous' place.

Quote:Cameron talks tough on better regulations but all you have to do is read the papers.
I hope he'll doing something, but not about the Immigration itself, more about who came here to have some kind of free assistance doing nothing to be useful for the society.

No in a region that can force a business owner to give service to others.

This 'rights thing' you seem to be fixated on is a very, very complex thing - and once you start taking rights from one group you open the doors to taking rights from another. In the case the right of the Rich nations to keep out the poor.

The EU is trying to be the United States of Europe but is loath to do it the way the United States of America did - all because of the perceptions of nationality and 'cultural independence'.

If you all had a central Government like the Fed, and each member became a 'state' such issues like this one would iron itself out rather rapidly.

Here in the USA we go from nation to nation (State to State) free of having to carry paperwork - and we have our very poor states and our very rich states. There are interstate contracts and State (National) laws which set minimum residency periods for a 'new resident' to get on the state level dole and stuff.

The boarder between Washington State and Oregon is 'interesting' as Oregon only has property Tax and Washington State taxes everything. So Washintoanian shop in orgegon getting everything take free while the residents of Oregon take on hefty Oregon taxation via their property.

So no system is perfect between two nations/states/kingdoms that share in a commonwealth/union type set-up.

Federal level. California sends a dollar to the Feds and ends up getting only 70-75 cents back, meanwhile poorer states send a dollar and they get much more than a dollar back. The rich get screwed (this is one reason why the California Economy went from 5th largest to 9th largest since 2001).

No matter the system you have, there will be individuals who figure out how to abuse it. Most citizens will try to live by the spirit of a law....

It will work out - once you all give up the delusion that you are still nations and see yourselfs as merely states of the USE....

Being a member of the EU grants every member country and its citizens certain rights.

One of those rights is the free movement of EU citizens across EU borders as well as the right to work free of restrictions in any other EU country.

The fact that the EU had and continues to have expansion aspirations is a fact of life, as is the fact that you will always get economic migrants between countries as well.

The only way thats going to stop is for the UK government to hold a referendum on EU membership, and exit the EU. Thats not going to happen regardless of the unemployment rate within the UK. There are plenty of UK citizens who chose to go work in Europe for the exact same reasons!

I do agree that the government needs to find a balance when it comes to benefits paid to economic migrants, but until there is parity between all EU members this is going to be a continuing problem that can only be solved at an EU level. Closing our borders will only make matters significantly worse for the UK.

ObW
X

I think it more a scapegoat to win political points more than anything.
As far as I'm aware, the UK has never participated in the "right to travel and work freely within the European Union" sentiment.
It's always had restrictions on immigrants moving to and working in the UK.
It doesn't give benefits to anyone who happens to live here either.

This is just a move to deport any EU immigrants who end up on hard times, homeless or begging for money; and to make benefits harder to claim for EU immigrants to save some money.
The talk of adding an earning threshold before an EU immigrant can immigrate to the UK also seems to suggest they only want people moving here who aren't poor and are at reduced risk of ending up poor. It's not really a sentiment I can get behind.

Also, it makes European Union look like the bad guy(maybe hoping to push people to vote for them for that referendum), while covering up the governments own incompetence.
In addition, it looks like the government is fighting those nigh non-existent spectres of healthcare/benefit tourism.
So it's a win-win-win action for them to take.

Seeing all this makes me wonder what measures we have in place for non-EU immigrants.
They do make up the majority of immigrants after all.

We can't keep letting people in without building, schools, roads, hospitals etc. and the government says we can't afford to do that. I regularly have my breakfast sat in a traffic jam on the motorway just because the volume of traffic has brought everything to a standstill. The population increased by half a million when the Poles were allowed free entry how many more people can we take?

LONDONER Wrote:Probably of only interest to Europeans who are members of the EU, this question is prompted by the imminent rights of the citizens of Bulgaria and Romania to travel and work freely within the European Union as from January.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2fdc67f0-575f-...z2lwrcWrvB

Of course the debate is that poorer members of the EU will claim benefits from richer members without first having made any contribution to the economy. Should curbs be put on poorer countries or should richer countries reach out to help them?

Yep. The immigration policies encourage poor integration and racial violence, IMO.

stu Wrote:We can't keep letting people in without building, schools, roads, hospitals etc. and the government says we can't afford to do that. I regularly have my breakfast sat in a traffic jam on the motorway just because the volume of traffic has brought everything to a standstill. The population increased by half a million when the Poles were allowed free entry how many more people can we take?

Yes but who builds schools, roads, hospitals, etc. ?
I'm not sure the majority of them is the "good", "white" and "inoffensive" Europeans...at least in France, but I guess it's the same in GB. At least they are good excuses to say that it's not our fault if we don't find a job. But people will realize that closing doors of Europe will not resolve the problems.

no its not