Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it art or......................?
On a rather dull and overcast day in London today, I was down in the East End and came across these three examples, clear references to WW1. I thought they were interesting and thoughtful and art, whatever you may think of graffiti. What do you think?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I'm sorry,,, but my brain has shut down for the remained of the day. I am unable to 'think' <fleeeeeeeeeee>

Ok,,, I managed to get one brain cell up-and-running.............. Looks like art to me,, but my opinion is very subjective at the moment (smile).
We Have Elvis !!

I love it. Enriching.

looks great!

Where did you find them? Are they real graffiti? Someone really worked on them. I'd like to know more about them.

Definitely art!

I was expecting something more controversial, like Piero Manzoni's Artist's Shit:

[Image: menos01_manzoni2.jpg]

Graffiti artists get the raw end of public opinion. I suppose its because there are so many posers mixed in among the very talented, and that public walls are their medium. If they used canvas like most of the art world, the really talented artists would probably never be noticed.
[MENTION=21084]Virge[/MENTION] The link to info on this collection is here:
English & German artists join forces paint remarkable graffiti mural tribute WWI Christmas Day Truce.html

Remarkable work. Thanks Londoner.

Virge Wrote:Where did you find them? Are they real graffiti? Someone really worked on them. I'd like to know more about them.

Yes Virge, they are real graffiti. Sorry, I can't tell you anything about them. They are near Liverpool Street in London and were painted all side by side and as far as I could see, had no signatures. Liverpool Street is within easy walking distance to Brick Lane, a very popular place on Sundays where they have a street market and many, many Indian restaurants. It's also well known for its graffiti of which there are very many examples that change from time to time as they get painted over and re-worked. I'm attaching a couple of examples of completely different work that I photographed on the same day. They are very different from the other three and whether you like them or not, I still consider them art.

You can see that the artist of the second one has tagged his work but it still doesn't tell us who he is.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I love them ....definitely art.....

Steve Wrote:Graffiti artists get the raw end of public opinion. I suppose its because there are so many posers mixed in among the very talented, and that public walls are their medium. If they used canvas like most of the art world, the really talented artists would probably never be noticed.

Thank you Steve. I answered Virge's question before scrolling down to your entry.