Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it bad to be a redneck?
hello I'm pretty new here, I was snooping around and I saw this so I made an account just to reply. I live in the south and my best friend is a stereotype redneck, loves guns, chews Tabaco, trucks, dirt, drinks a lot and did I mention he was my best friend? The only thing missing is he doesn't wear a cowboy hat.He knows I'm gay (and Asian) and he doesn't care at all even tried to hook me up with this other gay dude lol. I also have no problems with his other redneck friends although they always ask me "how the hell can you not like girls". We've been really good friends from the get go. Don't let these stupid stereotypes get to you, its like asking "is it bad to be gay?". Don't judge either, I mean have you ever been judge because you were different or labeled?

Is it bad to be a human

Because thats all they are and if they are good or bad is based on what they do as individuals and then you might ask who is to judge what good or bad is?

My only reference is really movies, of which ive seen a great many and while it does imply a sort of ignorance or back-woods lifestyle they have been portrayed as good and bad, you could get the dangerous wild redneck or the simple redneck with a heart of gold (he may be a redneck outcast) or the tough silent moody redneck but who will ultimately do the right thing or the wife beating beer swilling redneck or the wise old redneck or the hard working rednecks ( I can easily picture a redneck with a cheque shirt and hard hat walking to work with his lunchbox then going from work to the bar still with his lunchbox ) or rednecks in a mob, they are often portrayed as very reactionary and hard line about values to them but still distinctly different personalitys within the group with bad eggs and good eggs.

My husband turns into a bear redneck when he's pissed and boy does it get me excited! It's his nature to push people around and a leader of his bear tribe, but he knows better not to do that to me. I'm smarter.

PenguinPecker Wrote:Someone told me that being a redneck is bad.
Honestly, I'm pretty sure they aren't nearly as wild as the internet portrays but I'm just curious...
I think it's more of just the way some people like to behave sometimes and I don't see a thing wrong with it...
What do you think?

I come from a family of rednecks so I can say a lot on this. But first, what do you mean "like to behave"? What kind of behavior are you talking about?

I am a redneck in several respects and many of my family and friends would concur. I have a Dale Jr. ball cap, I drive only trucks and my fav has a big black brush guard on the front. My fav activity is fishing. I can catch and cook on site and impress you with the skills associated with the activity. Most all my friends growing up and to this day are "country" folk and many or most "rednecks". We farm, we fix our own stuff, feel most comfortable connected to simple things and nature. I don't believe brandishing the rebel flag and I don't cotton to racism and prejudice in general. I've had gay friends who never knew I was gay for long periods of time and a couple to this very day, because it either was none of their business or just never came up. I strongly believe that "we" as the LGBT culture need to evidence attitudes of tolerance and work to spread love and minimize stereotyping as much as possible given our natural propensity to do just the opposite. I also think the more we work to find balance in that effort the healthier and more satisfying day-to-day life can be. I don't care if a person is a redneck or not as long as they behave themselves with a little respect for others and promote healthy boundaries rather than unhealthy ones. So the idea that "redneck" can mean so many different things from both good to bad begs us as a gay culture to not only suspend judgement but practice tolerance and avoid the kind of discrimination we find intolerable. This doesn't mean I have any patience for a redneck who is homophobic or abusive of others. In these cases I might have to whoop they damn ass! Sagrin
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

In general, I avoid em... but that's mostly because of my own prejudice, which isn't good. I'll leave this here for the sake of balance. I recommend everyone watch it. Really.

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/y5...y-cummings

Pix Wrote:I come from a family of rednecks so I can say a lot on this. But first, what do you mean "like to behave"? What kind of behavior are you talking about?

I mean like drinking, making silly riggins, living in trailer parks... You know, the stereotypes..

I have hillbilly/redneck family. They're nothing like that. They have high paying or well paying jobs and just choose to drink and have wild weird fun on the weekends. 'Specially with the dune buggies they made! And the mud bogging and whatnot! They're just really fun.

dlor0230 Wrote:hello I'm pretty new here, I was snooping around and I saw this so I made an account just to reply. I live in the south and my best friend is a stereotype redneck, loves guns, chews Tabaco, trucks, dirt, drinks a lot and did I mention he was my best friend? The only thing missing is he doesn't wear a cowboy hat.He knows I'm gay (and Asian) and he doesn't care at all even tried to hook me up with this other gay dude lol. I also have no problems with his other redneck friends although they always ask me "how the hell can you not like girls". We've been really good friends from the get go. Don't let these stupid stereotypes get to you, its like asking "is it bad to be gay?". Don't judge either, I mean have you ever been judge because you were different or labeled?

Thanks! Smile
I like the way you and some others word it! Big Grin
And I'm flattered that someone made an account just to reply! Pengy

PenguinPecker Wrote:I mean like drinking, making silly riggins, living in trailer parks... You know, the stereotypes..

I have hillbilly/redneck family. They're nothing like that. They have high paying or well paying jobs and just choose to drink and have wild weird fun on the weekends. 'Specially with the dune buggies they made! And the mud bogging and whatnot! They're just really fun.

Sounds like an awesome bunch of people!
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Wade Wrote:In general, I avoid em... but that's mostly because of my own prejudice, which isn't good. I'll leave this here for the sake of balance. I recommend everyone watch it. Really.

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/y5...y-cummings

I saw that video before...I liked it.

I avoid them in general too. The last redneck festival we had here caused me to leave the board. The guy who loved his redneck status gave me the creeps really bad but everyone else seemed to love him. I couldn't take it anymore as he dominated every thread every day . All that "down home good 'ole boy" stuff didn't wash with me...

Apparently...I was the only one that was right about him when I read the comments about how "shocked" everyone was (after what he did)....I was shocked that so many other people bought into that crap.