Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it correct to refer to a gay bar as an "LGBT bar"?
I say it isn't. The gay community (a subset of the LGBT community) has its own bars. These bars are for the gay community, not the LGBT community. So it's a gay bar, not an LGBT bar.

Well,

I know there are bars geared for certain groups within the gay community [bear bars, leather bars, etc.. etc..]

But there are also bars that's just a regular gay bar where everyone is welcome.

At least in the gay communities I've been to..

Depends. Some accept all (these typically are actually everyday places with a "LGBT night" rather than like that every night, however), while others favor a specific crowd, and I like to be as accurate as possible when describing them.

Why do you feel the need to have this separation from the LGBT community? Laugh

I've never heard anyone refer to a place as an LGBT bar, but I don't see why they shouldn't. I mean, Drag Queens tend to perform at Gay Bars, Lesbians seem pretty welcome... Gay Bars are usually a smorgasbord of different types of people; Gay, Straight, Butch, Femme, etc, etc.

While you do get a large number that cater to specific niches, I don't think Gay is really a niche in and of itself. Would you're concept of a Gay Bar refuse lesbians? After all, they're the L not the G, so they're technically "not gay"... but they also, are gay Laugh

And what about Transexuals who are gay? Should they find a transexual bar? Tongue

Not criticizing or anything, just making my thoughts on the topic known lol. I can see your point in a sense...

I've never heard "LGBT bar", and I live in a city with lots of gay bars. They're usually oriented toward a certain sect of the LGBT population (gay men, lesbians, and all the subsets underneath those) rather than just a general "LGBT" community.

Politically Correct much?

Ive never heard of a LGBT bar. Thats too funny.

The "types" of bars we have in Dallas are:

The cowboy bar
The club
The daddy/leather bar
The fag/nelly/stuck up/prissy bar
The sports/college bar
The trendy bar
The wetback bar
The geek bar
The lesbian bar

Bunch of other bars, but most of those are privately owned bars and dont last long.

A gay bar is a gay bar,
a lesbian bar is a lesbian bar....
but,
they are not strictly for gay men or lesbians,
because that would be discrimination,
and the irony arising from that would be comical.

My "home bar" is a predominantly lesbian outlet
(technically a "lesbian" bar),
but everyone is welcomed with open arms.