Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it racist?
I was having an interesting conversation today with a person elsewhere (not from this website) and the subject moved to interracial relationships and got stuck on the notion that wanting to be with one specific race which isn't your race is 'racism'.

The example given was a black guy who only wanted to date white guys.

Any thoughts on this?

I think racism refers to treating one / some specific races unfairly, while in dating its the personal preference concerned

if i only want to date blue eyes people, am i discriminating other eyes color people?

not to mention that quite some people finally date someone that does not match the criterion they required before...when they love that person, they love that person

Well, I don´t think it´s commercially unfair that I prefer Pepsi instead of CoaCola ._.

bah. people are so overly sensitive these days over "racism".

its not racism.

its called personal preference.

in your example the black guy would be exerting "racism" towards himself, since he is black but doesn't want to date black people.

discrimination
...as in discriminating taste. NOT racism which is about the exploitative use of ruling power of one race over another.
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Racism is unfairly treating/disliking someone because of their race. Like white hating black and the other way around. So Aeneas put it perfectly, its not racism, its personal preference.

Well it depends I guess.
The main decider I think if the ruling out of partners of a certain skin colour is based on prejudices and stereotypes or whether the individual just lacks romantic attraction to people of said skin colour.

Theres a casam of difference between PREFERENCE and RACISM.

Racism is the preference for ones own race, discounting all others to the point of becoming a zealot.

Theres nothing racist about a black guy who's preferences are that for white guys.
In fact, I would call that ANTI-racist, if anything.

Racism would be accompanied by generalizations and stereotypes, FOR EXAMPLE (not my own opinion):

"I don't want to date a black person because I like my stuff un-stolen and I don't want to eat KFC and watermelon and drink 40's of OE every night of my life."

OR

"I don't want to date a Hispanic person because I don't want his entire extended family living with me and I'm not Catholic."

^THAT is racist.

I prefer white men, but if the RIGHT black guy or Hispanic or Asian or Aleutian or Indian came along, I wouldn't tell him I'm not into him because his skin is a different color. It's just skin, ffs.

Counselor Wrote:Racism would be accompanied by generalizations and stereotypes, FOR EXAMPLE (not my own opinion):

"I don't want to date a black person because I like my stuff un-stolen and I don't want to eat KFC and watermelon and drink 40's of OE every night of my life."

OR

"I don't want to date a Hispanic person because I don't want his entire extended family living with me and I'm not Catholic."

^THAT is racist.

I prefer white men, but if the RIGHT black guy or Hispanic or Asian or Aleutian or Indian came along, I wouldn't tell him I'm not into him because his skin is a different color. It's just skin, ffs.

Actually, thats more prejudiced than racist. Much more stereotyping than anything else.
Racists are more hateful, mean, and even violent.

Neo-nazi's are racists.