Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it racist to have a dating preference?
I'm white, but I am very attracted to Asian and Hispanic men. I just find them very attractive, doesn't mean I wouldn't date someone of my own or a different race, I just find them particularly sexy. Do you think this is racist? I hear a lot about how having dating preferences is racist, but then again, I can't really help who I am attracted to.

racism
ˈreɪsɪz(əWinkm/Submit
noun
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

By definition - NO

Opinions will vary but the only one that matters is yours.

I would say no, and you dont exactly choose what race your sexualy attracted too. Regardless if this was the case almost everyone would be racist because everyone has preferences.

I think the general idea of the word racist is the belief that one or more races are all around inferior to others. The word just gets abused allot, ex: Caucasian calls an African american a idiot who in turn reply's "racist". The only instance where this is in fact racism is if the former actually believes all African Americans are in fact idiots opposed to the one individual.

But yeah I think you are good Smile.

ANYWAY, I could be very wrong, but that is my understanding at least Big Grin, so feel free to be sexually attracted to whatever race that has the greatest effect on you ^_^.

It's a polarising topic. Some of my friends say it's racism, some say it's not.

For example, if I just look at Caucasians, I myself am very attracted to pale men, not that much into tanned ones. So I do have a skin colour preference within a race - I guess that should mean that it's not racist?

No, definitely not racist. I'm not attracted to guy of my own ethnicity (I'm half Oriental and half European so technically I'm Eurasian) but I don't think that amounts to racism, it's just that I find other guys more attractive. Says a lot of what I think about myself also.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

i dont think its racist to be more attracted to guys if the majority around you all your life is the same color tone as yourself - but thats not to say that one guy appears in your life with the personality that just clicks with with you is so jaw dropping amazing but happens to be of different skin color to yours - some people just dont live in a mixed society as some others ,

It's not racist, who you are attracted to is who you are attracted to, it has nothing to do with placing one race beneath another.

Unless you are fetishizing someone, there is nothing wrong with liking what you like.

It doesn't sound like it, offhand. But I've encountered a few who have racial preferences that sound like a preference rather than racism who then later say they won't date that race because they all suck, and that is racism.

No, of course not. Don't think backwards. You're kind of thinking very abstractly here.

You are not obliged to be equally attracted to everyone. That's nonsense. By the same token, it would be 'racist' or 'misogynist' not to be attracted to women either. Also nonsense. How about elderly? Are you not sexually attracted to 90-year-olds? Does that make you racist not wanting to sleep with them? Of course not.

Physical attraction is every person's own taste and an involuntary drive. It's not discrimination.

I have the same experience. In my case, it is the black men. Sexually they do not work for me and I would not want to have sex with one. There are qualities I find attractive and qualities that are unattractive to me. Everyone is wired like that.
''Do I look civilized to you?''