Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it racist?
MisterTinkles Wrote:Actually, thats more prejudiced than racist. Much more stereotyping than anything else.
Racists are more hateful, mean, and even violent.

Neo-nazi's are racists.

I contend that racism is prejudice, and any prejudice based on race is still racism.

considering a race or an ethnic group inferior is racism. and this may lead to trying to eliminate that race or the ethnic group (like ethnic cleansing). but sometimes, some racists consider the members of race they hate sex slaves. so they would abuse them.

but the funniest part about racism in the gay community is when a non-white person prefers to date exclusively white men, that non-white is not racist; but when a white man wants to exclusively date other white men, now that white dude is considered racist!

so based on this funny logic, it is a preference if it is by a non-white guy; while it is racism if it is by a white guy.

I prefer men instead of women. Does that make me a sexist? I don't think so since I don't discriminate women in any way. Same goes for race.

There have been concerns raised by people from the Black gay community, particularly in the 90's, that the obsession with white standards of beauty arises in partly from an internalized racism in the African American gay community. Marlon Riggs said that "Black men loving black men, was the revolutionary act."

I don't think "racist" is the correct term, but there is grounds to think critically about the dynamics of race in relationship choice. The problem is that the individual experience is not easy to reduce into a framework of racial politics, you can't expect people to ignore things they like, even while we might question about the way society may fetishize individuals racially.

OK - glad to see I'm not the only person on earth who doesn't view this as racist.

See I thought maybe the 'its racist' comment was because it was a black man who dates only white guys. Strangerrr suggested that its only racist if you are white and only want to date one race exclusively.

And Stangerrr you also brought up a hint at where the person I was talking to took the conversation, that it was 'slavery' or 'reverse slavery'...

I guess I was just dealing with a bigot and this is not a general thought.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:OK - glad to see I'm not the only person on earth who doesn't view this as racist.

See I thought maybe the 'its racist' comment was because it was a black man who dates only white guys. Strangerrr suggested that its only racist if you are white and only want to date one race exclusively.

And Stangerrr you also brought up a hint at where the person I was talking to took the conversation, that it was 'slavery' or 'reverse slavery'...

I guess I was just dealing with a bigot and this is not a general thought.

In the gay world, if you're a white guy, good luck!

I had the same issue, but in a different way. the body hair thing is just a preference. Some guys adore it; some ignored it, and others just hate it!
We have different tastes; it's our right.

I was chatting to a guy about a year ago, I met through a website and we began chatting, he was local to me and we were getting on quite well, though I didn't feel much interest coming his way, and said as much, he immediately phoned me and he explained how he "likes oriental men" young men, he did pick up some interest in me after that, though mine steadily wanned, I can change my appearance, not my ethnicity, I also had a good Vietnamese freind, he suprised me one day by saying he only likes white girls, and doesn't find black woman attractive,I had never heard such a thing

I read a book a while back, it was being talked about on a TV book club, a black man (well known British actor) book was "the fire next time" he was selling as a book about a Gay man, I still don't understand this as I read the book and its just about race, anti white, it mentions a few hardly noticable Gay themes and the rest was whit devils this and that, only periodicly defending the white man (as if he felt he had to) anyway this has little to do with thread but thought would mention it, for me personally would neither esteem or discriminate because of colour and think generally we are in a good place, racism is ugly and self gratifying

David501 Wrote:I read a book a while back, it was being talked about on a TV book club, a black man (well known British actor) book was "the fire next time" he was selling as a book about a Gay man, I still don't understand this as I read the book and its just about race, anti white, it mentions a few hardly noticable Gay themes and the rest was whit devils this and that, only periodicly defending the white man (as if he felt he had to) anyway this has little to do with thread but thought would mention it, for me personally would neither esteem or discriminate because of colour and think generally we are in a good place, racism is ugly and self gratifying

unfortunately, people connect preferences to racism. they just can't understand that we are individuals; we have different tastes.

I wasnt connecting a preference to racism, i just named an example as i came across it, then added what i thought at the bottom, thank u