Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the National Rifle Association a type of fundamentalist organization?
So, the continuing impacts of fundamentalism in Christianity and Islam demand our attention in various crises in the West. It arose as a global phenomenon, not isolated to one area or ideology.

Much of the ascerbic disdain for religion on gay forums is actually a reactionary movement against fundamentalism that is forced to stand in as a proxy for the larger religion in each case.

Formerly, the NRA was a hunter and gun safety organization. The political juggernaut that we know today didn't arise until 1977 when gun activist extremists succeeded in taking control of the organization and proceeded to steer it into a political movement.

It is not coincidental that this coup occurred at the same time fundamentalism was arising in evangelical Christianity and militant Islam.

Proposed: The rise of the NRA as a political caucus is an expression of fundamentalist reductionism that is equal to and related to the forces that gave rise to modern and virulent religious fundamentalism.

Discuss.

After penning this, the irony comes to me that I am due to join a rabid NRA member in less than three hours for a congenial breakfast out. He'd shoot me if he knew I viewed the NRA as such. Wink

From the perspective of a Canadian observer......the NRA has emerged as a full blown right wing cult umbrella, fueled by tithes from the armaments industry and feeding off the paranoia that all the good white folks is going to be shot in their beds by marauding gangs of 'other'.

Well coming from someone who wholeheartedly supports the 2nd Amendment, i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that's the case. Theres supporting gun rights, and then there's those nutjobs who equate not being able to own a gun to being slaves under a evil tyrannical government( so japan and the scandinavian countries must hotbeds of tyranny and oppression by the logic :biggrin: Rolleyes )plus, there generally more interested in protecting political interests than they are in actually protecting the everyman, and seem to want to oppose ANY form of gun regulation simply out of spite
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio.../13551659/ (which by the way, i think would be a really cool and helpful piece of tech )
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/snqfxc/shooters
so yeah, i like guns, but i'm not going to support idiots and nutjobs because of it.

That sounds about right to me [MENTION=21495]Rareboy[/MENTION]. The only reason it doesn't include the words "white men" is because that's not PC.

Hardheaded1 Wrote:After penning this, the irony comes to me that I am due to join a rabid NRA member in less than three hours for a congenial breakfast out. He'd shoot me if he knew I viewed the NRA as such. Wink

With any luck, he'll shoot on you with his fully loaded automatic 9 mm. Ask for extra napkins. Enjoy a hot breakfast, man.

jaxc Wrote:Well coming from someone who wholeheartedly supports the 2nd Amendment, i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that's the case. Theres supporting gun rights, and then there's those nutjobs who equate not being able to own a gun to being slaves under a evil tyrannical government( so japan and the scandinavian countries must hotbeds of tyranny and oppression by the logic :biggrin: Rolleyes )plus, there generally more interested in protecting political interests than they are in actually protecting the everyman, and seem to want to oppose ANY form of gun regulation simply out of spite
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio.../13551659/ (which by the way, i think would be a really cool and helpful piece of tech )
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/snqfxc/shooters
so yeah, i like guns, but i'm not going to support idiots and nutjobs because of it.
Oh, and lets not forget how baby jesus avidly supported the 2nd amendment and as a christian nation, it would be unwise to upset baby jesus by not supporting gun rights :biggrin:

Hardheaded1 Wrote:After penning this, the irony comes to me that I am due to join a rabid NRA member in less than three hours for a congenial breakfast out.

Your second one in a week, no less. Smile

Lex

Jaxc, I understand the irony in your baby Jesus comment. Still, I never tire of reminding people that this nation was founded by people whose philosophical leanings were deist and humanist and not Christian. I dance in delight when fundies play that card. It is the classic example of reading one's preferences into history.

By the way, I interpret gun rights as the right not to be shot by one held by a right wing idiot.
I bid NO Trump!

Lexington Wrote:Your second one in a week, no less. Smile

Lex

The pleasure was all mine. I felt quite the refugee from the Springs, and the scourge of ear wax.