Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a Lawyer in the house?
I'm not really getting anywhere with that question, so here it is: My family had 24 acres, there were two residents on the property, I was given one of the old houses. They were in such bad shape they were to be torn down. I moved in and started trying to make it habitable. Mean while ,, this little ol lady kept comming by .. and befriended me. I told her my story, etc... she started showing interest in the land. She ask if it was for sale, it wasn't. But I knew my Brother would sell it if I presented it and her. Well she told me if she bought it ...I could live there as long as I wanted and my rent would never go up. (I do pay 500.00) and I had to pay for any repairs. I said thats fair. Bottom line a year + later I'm being evicited as if we never had an agreement. (It was verbal) And no it was not written into the sale, who would believe you can't trust a little ol lady? But when they purchased the property my brother stated that he put no value on the houses, and told my "friend" he had given me the house with the right to move it off the property, before the sale. But because she had assured me I could stay and the rent would stay the same.. I had no reason to not believe her. The owners don't want to reimburse me a penny of anything I have done, and I sank everything I had into it. I have a notorized statement from my brother stating what he had informed her, and that he was aware of our verbal agreement. Am I totally screwed?

I don´t know about a lawyer here ... but maybe you can find other ways to pay a lawyer.

Here in Germany we have a law that says if you can´t pay a lawyer the state has to pay a lawyer. You just have to go to a court, tell them that you have no money to pay a lawyer and you get a authorization certificate for ANY lawyer you want. At the lawyer you pay 20€ and thats it. Maybe you can find such a right in your country, too ?

Oh Fenris .. thats sweet. I only wish it were that easy here. But its not. Hear its hard to even get a lawyer interested at all unless it involves "big" money. Not to say all Lawyers are like that .. just the one's I know. thank you

Atwater? California?

There are a few sites online that have legal experts that come to answer questions: http://www.freeadvice.com/

If this is Atwater California (Merced County) then you need to go to the county seat (Merced) to the law library:

670 West 22nd St. Merced, CA 95340.
Ph: (209) 385-7332.
site: http://www.co.merced.ca.us/index.aspx?NID=1402

There are often law students at the law library. The librarians are also really helpful.

Ask then your questions. If there is a need to file in a court then they (the librarians) are real good at finding the right forms you need and explaining in laymen terms what it is you need to put in the blanks.

California is pretty good in having one set of laws when it comes to rental properties, unlike other states where each county can have vastly different laws. Thus a google may help:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=sear...21&bih=840

And

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy...21&bih=840

Thanks Bowyn... I do appreciate any advice, its just that my question is so complex and unique.. and such an unbelievabley stupid error on my part, that only someone totally versed in the law, might have a chance of explaining in laymens terms .. just how stupid I am. But thank you much friend