Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this legal?
There's nothing you can really do about it. Religion can do whatever it wants. It's best that you don't work for a religious company anyway. You'll be far better off working for a secular company.

Legally there isn't anything you can do. The publisher has the right to deny service for the sake of their reputation. If it would cost them readers, they are acting in their best interests.

On the otherhand. I am a christian, and a conservative (pro equal marriage however). Ireally dont get why these jokers use religion to descriminate. The main undertone all through the gosples are that all sinners are gods people. So why (if it is really a sin) homosexuality the only sin that is unforgivable?

That is a perversion of the gosple.

Chase Wrote:There's nothing you can really do about it. Religion can do whatever it wants. It's best that you don't work for a religious company anyway. You'll be far better off working for a secular company.

It really isnt a religion here, it is a company, they hijacked a loosely religious concept to dodge an uncomfortable discussion with an auther.

People have been useing religion to justify acts of hatred all through history, but the perpitrator is the hater, not the device they use to justify their actions.

Wow you're starting to get into the publishing scenario at seventeen! Big Grin I admire you, and am a little jealous.

Self-publish. It's their loss.

ethically speaking, i believe any privately owned company should have the right to
choose their own path, even if it's a bigoted one, just as i have the right to choose
my own path. if i sold ice cream and believed chocolate to be evil, despite a vendor's
desire for me to sell his product, i'd have the right to sell only vanilla. the check and
balance here is my loss of business with the chocolate loving world, plus any backlash
of public outcry at my chocolate insensitivy.

this publisher has lost any income they would have recieved from LBGT community and
specifically from the sale of your book.

i imagine there are plenty of publishers who would be open to such topics.

in a side note, when i worked in texas as a social worker (big conservative Christian influence
there), our agency had no problem placing children for adoption to same-gender couples
as long as they met our other requirements. it wasn't more than 10 years ago that texas
was prosecuting people under sodomy laws. now they have openly Gay and Lesbian
state employees.

the world, it is a'changin'!

Butter

ps my shift key works better after 7am. humblest apologies to all who like to see an occasional capital letter.

hugz n smoochies

Butterfly

Legal... Well if there was a contract then there would be legal issues.

Ethically speaking, they are in their right to publish books that they want to based on their 'morals'.

However ethically speaking they should have made that clear way at the beginning what those morals are.

It may be the opinion of that one guy. I assume the publishing company would publish anything they thought would make them a profit. Is there someone else at that company you can talk to about what they will and will not publish?