Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this offensive and hurtful?
I have a huge passion for stand-up comedy. I swear, a stand-up comic was the first thing I remember ever wanting to be when I was a kid (like six or seven). I've never gotten the balls to try an open mic though.

I have a long list of comics whom I'm a fan of, but my absolute favorite might be Bill Burr. I saw him perform in San Fransisco about eight years ago (among the people I was with, I was the only one who knew who he was).

Here's a clip of him. Now, I know that this may seem a bit antagonistic to put up here, but I'm really curious to know what you guys and gals think. He uses the F word quite a lot (not fuck) and on the surface appears to be doing quite a bit of gay bashing. Before I give my opinion on how offensive it is, I'd like to hear from a few of you.

It doesn't offend me, it's just not funny. He's just your average heterosexual American male getting paid to do what he loves to do, unfortunately.

Does not really offend me but I tend to take things in a different content then most people do.

Well...I didn't find it offensive, but I found him to be crass, obnoxious and annoying.

For what it's worth, my wife thought the parenting bit was funny and agreed with his point. Kind of blew my mind lol

I think he is funny...the f*g bit (and I hate that word)...he is actually paying us a compliment IMO.....he is ridiculing straight guys and making fun of homophobia.

Offensive - to a point.

But then I am pretty puritanical when it comes to my approach to life.

I prefer wit and refined humor.

Like others I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't particularly offended either. I have my doubts that even getting really high would make me like him more.

But given I love Margaret Cho (though she's unquestionably gay friendly) and South Park I found him rather mild in the offensiveness department.

JupiterRising Wrote:. . . I found him to be crass, obnoxious and annoying.

Don't forget smug and arrogant.

He's rude and offensive. I didn't find him the least bit funny.

East Wrote:I think he is funny...the f*g bit (and I hate that word)...he is actually paying us a compliment IMO.....he is ridiculing straight guys and making fun of homophobia.

I agree.

I absolutely hate the word as well, but I love that bit. I think it's great for a guy, to whom appearing masculine seems very important, to be on a stage talking about the pressures of having to keep up that masculine image and the devastating emotional and physical effects it can have. He's basically saying "I wish I had the strength and courage to be a more caring and sensitive person, but the destructive nature of our gender roles in society make it too difficult."

As to him being not funny, well... I guess I just have a wildly different sense of humor than most here. I absolutely love it when a comedian speaks their mind with honesty and no hesitation. I may not agree with their views, but I'd rather that to someone who just panders to their audience.

Thank you for responses everyone. Very informative.