Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this what America has really become?
This story hit the headlines earlier this week and this article brings it up to date. What would you have done in the circumstances?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/scho...58f6595a8a
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

As a general rule for myself, I avoid huffingtonpost. But to answer your question, if any specific case sounds nutty, its because there is a general population that are nutty but that 'group' of individuals do not make up 100% of the total American population.

catshello Wrote:As a general rule for myself, I avoid huffingtonpost. But to answer your question, if any specific case sounds nutty, its because there is a general population that are nutty but that 'group' of individuals do not make up 100% of the total American population.

Regarding the Huffington Post I agree with you but the original article I saw was from a different source. I just thought the outcome was interesting in spite of being reported in the Huffington Post. No, it doesnt represent 100% of the American population but it was a stupid thing to do especially as the person in question had offered to pay for the meal herself.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

One thing I notice about some people in this country are the people with a hard on for power and to let it be known, I have seen some really cold hearted people, it's bone chilling. I can't wrap my head around the logic of such people. I mean don't get me wrong I have my flaws and have been ice cold to some people (for a reason, although may not have been totally justifiable in hindsight). I can say though that I really doubt anyone would get fired for doing the same at our local schools.

It's both good and bad that the media points all this out because while at the same time it gives off false impressions and makes people think that humanity has gone down the toilet but at the same time I think that school's staff should be grilled. The problem though most school cafeterias are for profit and in some cases ran by 3rd parties so they have a more business like adgenda...yes it is a shame that we would allow a child to go hungry because they can't get their $2 or whatever for lunch. I remember paying $1.60 for school lunch when I was in elementary school and honestly I remember days when I didn't have enough money to get it and then have to be put in line with the other kids who didn't have money to get a peanut butter sandwich.

That is the problem with capitalism...

"Scrape em' off Claire! If you want to save somebody, save yourself."
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

The lunch was to be paid. If the item was paid what was the big problem for the bussiness?
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

I suppose it is some technicality in some sort of agreement or paperwork that either the school, or the organization that runs the cafeteria. For instance in North Carolina It’s against the law to sing off key. It isn't enforced obviously, but if someone wanted to be an asshole I suppose someone could have me fined for singing in public off key. Not really the same thing we're dealing with but just as ridiculous.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

its not American problem - its a society problem , the word " JOBSWORTH " has probably been said in some similar meaning by every language on earth. I cant blame America alone for this kind of attitude

the Bosses in charge will say there are rules to be followed (blindly by this type of person) if they let this instance slide in their mind they would have anarchy with people giving free food all over the school system causing meltdown
the rational people reply with (just give the starving kid the food) and for the Jobsworth at his desk imposing this dinner ladies sacking " sod off and die" ...maybe a bit far but I lack empathy anyway

matty7 Wrote:its not American problem - its a society problem , the word " JOBSWORTH " has probably been said in some similar meaning by every language on earth. I cant blame America alone for this kind of attitude

the Bosses in charge will say there are rules to be followed (blindly by this type of person) if they let this instance slide in their mind they would have anarchy with people giving free food all over the school system causing meltdown
the rational people reply with (just give the starving kid the food) and for the Jobsworth at his desk imposing this dinner ladies sacking " sod off and die" ...maybe a bit far but I lack empathy anyway

Yep that, pretty well hits the nail on the head. Definitely a society thing, not sure if it will ever stop but it does seem to be getting worse since employers see employees being a commodity than people... I mean it's not always the case in fact can't be quite opposite, there are some employers who hold their employees very dearly but it does seem to be falling out of style imo.
Check out my stuff!