Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue
VVIT Wrote:I've read, one of the causes of a person being gay is, the lack of attention from the father.

I'm usually the kind of person who will at least consider an idea no matter how ludicrous it may be (including the most outlandish conspiracy theories of vast mind control or shapeshifting lizards from another planet having infiltrated the governments of the world, ideas that The Matrix might actually be true, etc), but that one was such that my mind couldn't help reject it within 5 seconds because fathers are notoriously absent from the lives of many kids, and then there's deadbeat dads on top of that, and if this was an actual reason for inspiring homosexuality in boys then I'd think there'd be legions of gay boys right now as well as through history (especially given how common orphans used to be). Heck, I used to mix with runaway kids who had little to nothing to do with their dads and most of them weren't at all gay (and those who were gay often came from a family where the father was NOT distant and rather offended by their son being gay and thus abusive, sending to abusive therapy, etc, or even kicked him out when before they'd been close).

Though if true it would be ironic given that plenty of fathers intentionally distance themselves from their boys (and often try to get the mother to do the same) to "make a man out of him," that is a heterosexual man (since many don't consider gay men to be "real men") of course.

One slight possibility to me is that a gay boy could desire more attention from his father (as I've heard from men who said they had crushes on women, even their own mothers when they were like 5-6, and want to be around them a lot more, so if they had crushes on men then I could see the desire to be around daddy--of course I mean the vague innocent crush, not some blatant sexual desire) in which case I could see such boys growing into men who felt distressed by the lack of attention from their fathers, though even then I can't see it as plenty of straight men remember their fathers as distant, and a song that seems to become really popular every time it's released again is Cat's in the Cradle, one version here:

In any case I suspect some fundie Christian came up with that line as it kills 2 birds with one stone for them: show gays as damaged and pressure fathers to be the masters of the home. Still, it could be an overrated psychiatrist who came up with it (maybe even a gay one with a distant father) trying to impress his colleagues though it sounds too much like pop psychology (the kind you can find in the self-help section of bookstores) to me so that option doesn't seem likely.