Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It Gets Better Project
It Gets Better Project is the brain child of Dan Savage, a gay, syndicated columnist in response to yet another case of a teen suicide after the victim had been bullied because he was gay. Savage thought 'what if we could just talk to these kids for a few minutes and tell them that we've been there too, and it does get better.'
The result is this YouTube channel where he and scores of other gay and lesbian adults, from all walks of life, relate their stories from their teen years and how that life does get better, a lot better.

Here are a couple of videos from the channel, the first is Dan and his partner's video, and the second is one I selected at random to give you a flavor of the Project:

So what do you think?

I grew up on the internet, and when I came out when I was 15, I searched the internet for answers and I think for me something like this would have been a godsend.

Any way thought I would pass this along!

The first thing I thought was how great it would have been to see those clips when I was 15. And then I tried to remember how I thought when I was 15, I am not sure I would have believed those people. Teenagers know everything and I knew my life wouldn't get better. Sad to remember ....
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

You know...it's like...it gets better sometimes, but sometimes it sucks even more. I think it depends on the person. BUt you know, sometimes the storm goes on and on and on...

Here's Davey Wavey's post about this exact thing:

It Gets Better. | Break the Illusion Blog by Davey Wavey

SlipknotRlZZ Wrote:You know...it's like...it gets better sometimes, but sometimes it sucks even more. I think it depends on the person. BUt you know, sometimes the storm goes on and on and on...

Promise me you won't EVER, EVER work for a suicide help line....jeeze girl, get back to me on this subject when you are perhaps out of your teens! Laugh

I have been seeing lots of these videos popping up all over place lately.

I was never really bullied back in high school, but I did know 2 openly gay kids. The one kid everyone knew was gay but he pretty much just keep his head down an I never seen anyone bug him. In fact in the 3 years I knew him I maybe heard him say like 50 words.

The other gay kid (I’ll call him A) was a really out an load femme type of gay, he was like a lighting rod for the bullies. I remember this one time A was walking to the buses after school an this guy came up behind A an point blank threw an apple as hard as he could into the back of A’s head. A kind of crumble to the ground holding the back of his head, an I’m pretty sure he was crying an he had good reason to.

Now has horrible as the that act was what followed was maybe worst because after that happened no one did anything. I bet there was about 80 or 90 kids out in that parking lot that day and no one helped A, one walk over to see if A was okay, no one stopped the guy who threw the apple. I was maybe ten feet away from the act I didn’t do a damn thing, I just put my eyes on ground an walked right by A and got on my bus an went home.

Watching these videos made me remember this story and how I was just as much in the wrong as the guy how threw the apple.

I think I was very lucky at school in the 1960s and early 1970s because, although I was never one of the popular boys, I was rarely picked on either. I went to two all boys' schools and I know it was hell for some of the other boys. My own solace was always music, one or two very close friends and my peripheral membership of several groups, rarely being able to get through those outer barriers to somewhere where the popular kids were. A friend I met up up with recently, after thirty-seven years, said the thing he remembered most about me was that I hated seeing people fighting, or being picked on and would always intervene to try and stop it and end up befriending the outcasts. I'd forgotten about my collection of waifs and strays :redface: One day I met someone who'd been living under a blanket in a field for a few days and I took him home. My parents actually welcomed him in, let him use the bath, fed him and I gave him some clothes to wear. He ended up staying with us for a few days and my dad even gave him some labouring work with his cleaning company.

I do, however, remember being on a residential geography field trip after changing schools for the sixth form and one night, with everyone in bed after lights out, almost the whole dorm was performing a real hatchet job on one poor lad's character. He was very new to the school, but his crime was to have asked the wrong person a question about masturbation! I was so shocked that my two best friends were even joining in with this horrible conversation that I just lay there listening to it, hoping that R had fallen asleep and couldn't hear this stuff they were saying about him. In the end I just lost it completely and told everyone what I thought of what they were saying. I suppose everyone was tired, because it did go very quiet after that. For the rest of the week and when we returned to school I made sure that R was included in our conversations and the motor-cycle trips some of us made at lunch-times.

I guess I was lucky to get through it all without being beaten up for being such an interfering, self-righteous prig. Of course these were the years when I was also hearing at church that it would be better for a boy never to have been born than be tempted to commit any sexual act with another boy and that there were no such people as homosexuals, only homosexual acts, which was one way the devil knew how to tempt young men away from god's love and into everlasting darkness. That was the stuff that took its toll on me.

Bastards :mad:

I was a popular kid in school. I tolerated the bullies and laughed at the one who got bullied. Most of the time, I did not feel it was right for any form of bullies. However, I still tolerated them because the majority did and I did not want to go again the vast of people for the shake of my reputation. Also, I knew that many people feel the same way.

Now, I really regretted about that. If I have a chance to fix it, I would give the poor kids a hand at least. I guess that is how people feel growing up.