Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just have a very quick question...
What does it mean to "not support gay rights" but "not be against it"? I see Youtube comments like this all the time. If I'm watching a gay Youtuber, sometimes I see some comment from a supposed fan saying that they don't support gay rights, but they're not against it either and want the Youtuber to know that they're a big fan. Is there really some kind of middle ground or are these people just kidding themselves?

i guess it's like ... if gay marriage is totally legalized , cool . if not , it's no big deal.
something like that , anyway

Yes, it means that there is a middle ground. They won't support gay rights openly but then neither are they against them. In other words, they couldn't care less.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

They don't care about LGBT rights.
I don't know how it works on youtube, and blahblah but in some places, for example here in Italy is an hypocritical and shallow comment imho. Cause if you say something like this, you are more against-rights than pro-rights...

It means they don't care, and are 'neutral'.

Unfortuantely, in the words of Desmond Tutu: "If you are neutral in times of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.".

Effectively saying "I don't like you, but I don't HATE you either"!!!

A nice way to say they won't be bashing you for being gay, but they won't give a damn if you can or can't marry, adopt, not be discriminated at work, etc.