Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It was our regular Thurday night dinner out . . .
Louie and I got in the car after noting Mars was faintly visible above Venus in the western sky.

I offered Romano's Macaroni Grill as an option, as he had never eaten there. He accepted.

"It's not going to have any waiters of hotness, but the food is usually good. We just won't get very good service." We don't choose restaurants for hot waiters, but we don't miss them when they are there.

The parking lot was generally full when we arrived at 7:30, but there were three parking spaces open just opposite the front door. It seemed a warning, as popular places never have that many open at once where you need one.

The hostess was tall, maybe 6 ft., blonde, and cheerful. She took us to a table that bordered on the runway to the restroom just two tables away. We asked to be seated further over and she happily seated us. It turned out to be her station, so maybe hostesses aren't just hostesses there.

The menus were left on the table, resembling large place mats. A quick read revealed the menu had been cut down. No good steaks remained, only sirloin.

The main counter that divided the room was once covered with maybe six or seven large vases of white gladiolas, spotlighted with brilliant white lights. There was only one modest clump now and it was apparently silk.

The rosemary foccacia was served, but was cold. It was also lofty and fluffy, without the yeasty dense texture that had made it a favorite. The blonde returned and offered to bring a second serving. We asked for it to be hot this time. It came room temperature.

As we shared a salad, we noticed large menu boards mounted across the room, touting a $7 lunch express menu and a $9 dinner express menu.

The kitchen is an open affair, so we watched the staff. There was no hurry. The cooks were young.

"It's a sign when Macaroni Grill is offering bargain menu items. I wonder if Landry's has bought them." Louie didn't know what that meant. "Oh, it's just that they are known for running chains into the ground. I used to love McCormick & Schmick's, but then Landry's bought them and they went to hell."

The dinner was fine, as expected, and we ordered the chocolate cake and tiramisu for dessert. The blonde returned to report that they were out of the cake. We agreed to just split my tiramisu. She left to fetch it.

"Who runs out of a dessert on a Thursday night? Probably the same manager who doesn't hire any good looking waiters. "

Our very cheerful and attentive server brought the check. As I paid it, I asked her, "has Macaroni Grill been bought by Landry's?" "Yes," came the confession quickly. She was obviously not happy about the corporate management.

"See, I told you!" Louie was surprised.

Good food, but much declined and inferior to the chain before the Borg.

I would just like to draw attention to the fact that in the title, OP forget the "s" in Thursday. Carry on.

It was the only shortcoming of the outing that wasn't attributable to Landry's low standards.

Unfortunately, it was me slipping into a carbo-loaded coma and not noticing my typo.

Here's the S if you still want it. :p

sounds like a sucky night out for dinner. I hate when a place I like goes downhill. disappointing.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Hardheaded1 Wrote:Good food, but much declined and inferior to the chain before the Borg.

[Image: smiley-angry047.gif] Grrr... The Borg get blamed for EVERYTHING!!! [Image: smiley-angry047.gif]

I ate there once, didn't care for it.

Open restaurant.
Milk it dry to make money.
Sell to a sucker.
I bid NO Trump!

Borg69 Wrote:[Image: smiley-angry047.gif] Grrr... The Borg get blamed for EVERYTHING!!! [Image: smiley-angry047.gif]

The only thing people hate worse than being talked about is NOT being talked about.

~Oscar Wilde

Ferengi are the materialistic ones that cheat people for a profit. Pick on them. Wink

I'm afraid the Ferengi were bought up by Landry's some time ago. It explains their joyless expressions.