Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J'ai des regrets
I feel it is time to revisit an old path..

Back in high-school, I hated that learning French was mandatory until 5th year. I never bothered with it, focusing on my more important science/maths/english subjects. However, I did enjoy it - it just felt pointless to me at the time. I now miss the opportunity I had, and kind of wish I had taken it to higher grade (scottish equivalent of AS-ish) instead of physics.

My teacher said she was pleased with the effort I applied to my pronounciation - compared to other students, one of which actually pronounced "c'est" as though it were an english word! And despite my lack of effort, I was surprised to get a 1 (the best grade to get in Standard Grade - scottish equivalent of GCSE-ish).

I kinda feel I missed an opportunity there, and in keeping with my renewed hunger for developing my "miscellaneous" abilities, I've decided maybe it's time to get back in to learning this smexy language Tongue

My question is, does anyone know any good internet resources which could facilitate my learning? I may consider doing a course or something in town, but I would rather a cheap (preferably free!) way to assist me, with the bonus of not having to add another appointment to my already crowded weekly planner. I thought Rosetta Stone would be brilliant - and frankly, at £63 per month (!!) it damn well better be! :eek: I'm a poor student, and would ideally like to improve my writing at the least: grammar, irregular verb lists and stuff like that to supplement the basic knowledge of the language attained during my High School years.

Many thanks,

J.

get that french boy friend

I never learned a language from the internet. I did public libraries, classes and immersion.

I think it was Berlitz books that I used from public library. http://www.berlitzbooks.com/home.asp is there website. Mind this was a decade or two ago, so I may be a bit confused of which books I used.

I also used records. 33 and a third LPs - kind of telling how long ago this was. I borrowed from the Public Library. They had cassettes, but I didn't trust that modern technology :tongue:

Latin and Greek came out of university/seminary/higher education as part of my bible study/learning. Also a wee bit from the Friars via prayer books. The friars were good to me, spending the whole day speaking only Latin around me - thus immersion.

French and Free: http://www.bonjour.com/ I suspect that there may be other 'free' lessons out there you may have to dig them up.

Since you are in Scotland with only a minor puddle between you and France (where I understand much of the population speaks French occasionally Wink ) you may want to plan vacation in France and get locals to help you learn their language.

Pellaz has the right idea, Get a French boy friend.

Thanks! I've already had a quick look at the bonjour website, looks handy Big Grin . I will look at berlitz later when I have time, but so far it seems like the books/audio are all reasonably priced.

As for the "get a French boyfriend" idea, that sounds like a convenient learning method Tongue Although I must admit I LOL'd when I first read it. I do have a few other miscellaneous talents I was intending to pick up - looks like I've got some sleeping-around to do! Bouncer

Guten Tag/Croeso,
I was better with German to be honest than I was with french i got all complexed inside and learnt german fluently until i decided to drop out.. I would say the best way to possibly remember things is see about studying a language via TV I know if i wanted to learn french i could get the signal in my car from where i live in south east UK as france is only 20 miles away and radio waves stray this way.... If all else fails turn on BBC iplayer and watch TV in welsh

Hwyl
Zeon x

I have tried learning languages by doing courses, but that doesn't usually work for me. Now just i pick a book that seems interesting and translate the words i don't understand or just watch TV in a foreign language. Uh, the downside is that my grammar is terrible in all languages i speak, but that doesn't matter so much in casual conversation.
Have tried Rosetta Stone(thankfully for free) and it was a pure waste or time.
A french boyfriend would be the best option, of course. Most likely he could also cook really well.

I'm so in the same boat :p , only my boat has some "paddles" I guess you can sayMdrbig.

I was in advanced French for 3years until my last year of highschool, where I had to choose between French or GCSE Music & Music Composition . I regret not finishing, because I was very good, or so my grades reflected Wink .

I can still speak it pretty well, but like you, some verbs/nouns and what not have eluded my grasp Smile .

It doesn't help that I learned 3 other languages Rolleyes , I get confused from time to time.

If what Bowyn Aerrow said is true about Scotland having a French speaking population, why not skip over there and see if you can make a friend? (If you don't feel like sleeping around :p ) My Mom's friend lives in France and teachs English there and has helped me alittle when it comes to French.

Le français est vraiment magnifique. Ne pas renoncer à elle. :biggrin: .

QueenOdi Wrote:If what Bowyn Aerrow said is true about Scotland having a French speaking population...
Noo, they don't speak french, they have a hard enough time speaking English Laugh1 Or I have a hard time understanding their dialect.....

Boweyn was saying that France is kinda close to Scotland (what with them both being in Europe and all) So he thought I should go there for a trip. Sounds like a good idea but I am always broke and would never have the time Tongue ......