Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jabberwocky
http://en.wikipedia.org/jabberwocky

This poem is, in my opinion, the best piece of nonsense verse in existence. What are your views on this amazing piece of literary genius? Know of any other nonsense poems that could rival this one?

I love Jabberwocky but I remember seeing a poem called Sweater Weather which was also kind of insane but I dont recall much. Dont spend much time with poetry either but I do enjoy it occasionally anyway.

Good call Xyxthumbs . Like many I have enjoyed Jabberwocky since childhood. I didn't realise, until reading the Wiki article, that Carroll actually invented the words "galumphing" and "chortled", so thanks for that information. Now you have started a seriously naughty train of thought, which I am not at liberty to disclose, although I shall say that a friend of mine has been an officer in the Lewis Carroll Society for many years and his wife knows a million ways to cook courgettes.

I suppose when one thinks of more recent nonsense poetry Spike Milligan is probably the first name to come to mind ... but "on the ning nang nong where the cows go 'bong'" doesn't quite have the same ring as "'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves ..."

Personally I thought Tolkien was probably guilty of writing some excellent nonsense poetry, but he took himself far too seriously to acknowledge it I suspect Rolleyes

Agreed. A few of my other favourites are Father William, also by Lewis Carroll, Gentle Alice Brown and Ellen M'Jones Aberdeen by W.S. Gilbert and Red Riding Hood by Guy Wetmore Carryl. Most of these regularly send me into fits of the giggles when reading them. You should look them up!

I love Father William, specially now I am at an age when standing on my head might properly be questioned as a sensible pursuit. When I was eleven our junior school choir sang a rather nice setting of the poem. Funny how songs are rarely far away. Obviously I am more familiar with WS Gilbert's work through the Savoy operas, but I shall have a look for the other poems you mention. Although I read a wide range of poetry to my own children as they were growing up we all loved the tales of Old Possum and one of my favourites (for no real reason other than that I liked the sound of it) is George Barker's "My Sister, Clarissa, spits twice if I kiss her". Does that count as nonsense poetry?

I like it a lot, I think it is great that although most of the words are nonsense, one can still get a feeling of what he means; the sounds of the words still manage to conjure up particular images, without any definition or explanation.

I used to have a book by Edward Lear, 'Complete Nonsense'. It contained as extensive body of his work; poems, limericks, stories, songs. It was great, we particularly used to enjoy the story about the four little children who went round the world. The bit where the Quangle wangle hurts his foot so badly that he has to put his head in his slipper for at least a week still makes me laugh! Laugh

If you're interested: http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/fc.html

I remember this poem very well! When i first started college, it was the first piece of 'theatre' we had to do by creating something around the poem! It was awesome!
The new '1st years' as we call them had to do a similar project but with a different play called 'Jumblies' i think. Pretty wierd too :] x

Ah, The Jumblies! Also a very good, although tedious, nonsense poem. I actually forgot to mention that one, everyone should read it as well, you'd laugh, believe me. I guess that, sometimes, I like nonsense verse more than actual poems just because they're so funny...

It actually makes perfect sense you just need to look at it through the right glass. La la la.

Hit'em boys
Well I've said it before, and I'll say it again
You get nothin' for nothin', expect it when
You're back seat drivin' and your hands ain't on the wheel
It's easy to go along with the crowd
And find later on that your say ain't allowed
Oh that's the way to find what you've been missin'

So I'm heading out to the highway
I got nothin' to lose at all
I'm goin' to do it my way
Take a chance before I fall
A chance before I fall

You can hang in a left or hang in a right
The choice it is yours to do as you might
The road is open wide to place your biddin'
Now, wherever you turn, wherever you go
If you get it wrong, at least you can know
There's miles and miles to put it back together

And I'm heading out to the highway
A chance before I fall

Makin' a curve or takin' the strain
On the decline, or out on the wain
Oh everybody breaks down sooner or later
We'll put it to rights, we'll square up and mend
Back on your feet to take the next bend
You weather every storm that's comin' at cha

And I'm heading out to the highway
A chance before I fall

Man...Lewis Carroll was one of the greatest writers/poets ever. Not to put him on a pedastal or anything :tongue:

Jabberwocky remains to this day one of my absolute favorite poems...interesting that it should come up on this forum!