Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jade Goody
Besides Rihanna's beatdown,this has to be one of the biggest celeb news this year.I didnt know Jade Goody until the controversial Big Brother incident when she made racist remarks towards Shilpa Shetty.In an attempt to clean up her image,Jade allowed herself to be put under the public eye by entering another BB house and it is here that she received the news that she had cancer.And just like that,things changed.A few months later,Jade's terminal disease has been followed furiously by the public,with her consenting to this I believe.What do you guys make of this whole thing?Does her imminent death make it OK for us to forget what made her famous?What about the constant public attention,surely the media should've given her space.Even with her consent,is it the moral thing to do?Dont get me wrong,I sympathise with her and her condition,my dad died of cancer last year but its how some of the things have been handled.This week OK magazine is running a tribute to Jade with the headline "1981-2009".WTF?She's not even dead yet.How would you feel if it was you?

Shes doing it to raise money for her kids when she dies.

Not saying I like her or anything she pisses me right off, but I understand her reasons for wanting to raise money.

This whole propoganda of "how sad it is about Jade having cancer" really ticks me off.

Its like people have never heard of cancer before, or that she's the only one who's had cancer, she's had so much attention and so much money raised for her, um, HELLO?

She has cancer, it's tragic, but what's even more tragic is that the the public will only stand for something once it affects something that's "close to home". She has fans and she didn't do alot. She made a racist remark and did some charity work i think? Now people feel so connected with her and... I hope I'm expressing my point well. Two of my friends have died from cancer, did they get TV coverage for it? no. It's like the whole Madeline McCann thing. These are things that happen everyday, and yet they are uplifted.

I don't know, maybe I don't have a complete understanding of the situation, but that's what I see.

DtotheJtotheM Wrote:This whole propoganda of "how sad it is about Jade having cancer" really ticks me off.

Its like people have never heard of cancer before, or that she's the only one who's had cancer, she's had so much attention and so much money raised for her, um, HELLO?

She has cancer, it's tragic, but what's even more tragic is that the the public will only stand for something once it affects something that's "close to home". She has fans and she didn't do alot. She made a racist remark and did some charity work i think? Now people feel so connected with her and... I hope I'm expressing my point well. Two of my friends have died from cancer, did they get TV coverage for it? no. It's like the whole Madeline McCann thing. These are things that happen everyday, and yet they are uplifted.

I don't know, maybe I don't have a complete understanding of the situation, but that's what I see.

Couldn't have said it better myself Xyxthumbs

I had heard about the racist remarks but not about her second BB/cancer announcement...

Seems pretty sick that her obit is already being written as she lives... that is fucking sick!

I think the key question is "How would you feel if it was you?"

If I needed to find a way to support my family after my death I would do what I could.

I would also probably take the opportunity to advocate for research, compassion for the disease, etc.

What I do find odd is that EVERYONE wants to be famous these days. To allow yourself to be filmed 24/7 would be a horrible experience. Just weird...

Jade Goody acquired her infamy as a contestant in the pleb version of BB well before the Celebrity Big Brother contest that saw her brought back into the house with, among others, Shilpa Shetty. Rarely has a single person undergone so many personality makeovers in such a short space of time.

I was sorry to hear that this young woman had a terminal cancer, but I go out of my way to keep away from seeing any of the extraordinary publicity that Max Clifford is generating on her behalf. That's my choice although I am well aware that others feel differently and are willing to buy into the present "sainthood for all" pop culture. As Card says, she has elected to die amongst the media frenzy that the last few years of her life have generated. We are told she is doing this to enable her children some sort of secure financial future. I'm sure she is doing what she thinks is best and I hope they get what she wants for them, but I wonder if she is not bequeathing them a whole lifetime of trouble too. The loss of a parent to a terrible illness is a tragedy played out every day. Not everyone has the option of employing a professional publicist to keep it on the front page of the newspapers for weeks on end.

Were I in her situation, a person known primarily for a lack of talent in any field, a poverty of education and in possession of a mouth that engages well before any brain cells can be whipped into action, I imagine I would be willing to die in the same indignity in which I had come to live my life if I believed it would do my kids some good. For all the sordidness of the situation she is making what use she can of the assets she has.

These really are sick times. :frown:

Eish Derek,something about your response...:frown:

marshlander Wrote:These really are sick times. :frown:

But not the worst of times.