Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamie: Drag Queen at 16
I don't care particularly if depictions of drag queens occasionally seem like freak shows to others. The fact of the matter is that I find it far more upsetting how many gay men are so quick to try and crush the visibility of drag queens because of their unwillingness to be associated with them. Heteronormative prejudices are hardly the sole domain of the heterosexual.

OrphanPip Wrote:I don't care particularly if depictions of drag queens occasionally seem like freak shows to others. The fact of the matter is that I find it far more upsetting how many gay men are so quick to try and crush the visibility of drag queens because of their unwillingness to be associated with them. Heteronormative prejudices are hardly the sole domain of the heterosexual.

EXTREMELY refreshing to hear someone so young write something so evolved...I wish I saw more of it. Your statement displays a depth of thought and character.

He can drag up as much as he wishes and good luck to him with becoming a drag queen. I didn't think he should have been allowed to wear drag to his school prom. If he wanted to wear a dress because of his gender issues then fine. This was more about publicity.

I disagree - I don't think the show came across as a freak show - The whole concept of these shows at the moment are to bring across to people how people are suffering in different situations, for instance I think it was last week they had the girl that suffered extensive burns from fireworks or something, and the week before was about a girl that is very small, (I can't remember the exact word), but the show in its whole is a very gripping show to watch the way they go through their lives and explain their feelings and their views. I have a few friends that have seen it, recommended it and described how touching it was and brought them to tears.

'Oh my goshh poor boy on bbc 3 .. Had me in tears Sad makes you appreciate things you have in life !
9 hours ago via iPhone · Like · '

That was just one of the many statuses on facebook regarding the show - so if people are seeing it like that Id say its a good thing and not made out to be a freak show.
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

Yeah but alot of people will be only watching it to laugh at the poor people they drag on this series. I was tough when studing media not to infringe on people's lives and I think this is what is happening.

I am sorry, but this is nothing so unusual. There is one friend of mine who has absolutely the same problem and I haven't seen the national television making a tv show about him... I know that media has this strange idea that if they constantly speak or show lgbt people, others will get used to the idea and aggression towards lgbt people will be decreased, but I think they are doing it with some kind or irony and there is a negative effect...

So would you say its better not to show these people and pretend they don't exist? I think people should be shown on tv like anyone else and shown it to be normal - The girl that is really small has been on BBC 3 many times and always stated how much this has helped her and gathered support. Yes at the end of the day the companies want ratings - but it should be shown and not hidden. Some people will watch it for a laugh, but a lot of people won't and will learn a lot about it. Its the 21st century things like this shouldn't be hidden. If you actually watch the episode and the whole episode you will see that it wasn't to poke fun at them - it was to genuinely show a side of them that people don't see because they judge on first appearance. Also I don't see how its infringing if the BBC asked people to come forward and didn't actually go out approaching people - also if they agree to show all this how can that be infringement? Its the same scenario as when reality TV celebs like Katie Price moan about public interest.. If you don't want it don't open up your life. If anything sweetlad, not in an offensive way or anything like that, but from your reaction I'd say you viewed this show already having made up your mind beforehand. :tongue:
[/COLOR]

I wouldn't see it as a freak show and I don't think it 's BBC 's purpose.

I have friend who is a professional drag queen at night and a respectful director of a GLBT resource center during the day. If he did not tell me then there is no way I can know that he is the drag queen. And since I have known, my view about him do not change at all. He is still that same wise and respectful man.

'This bloke is inspirational. #bbcthree
21 hours ago' - another person I know on twitter regarding this show :tongue:

http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/reviews/869904...transition - one of the many reviews about the show.. I think you will see that most people didn't view it as a freak show, and the ones that did? They need to grow up.
[/COLOR]

Hello,
I saw the show on BBC iplayer... Now i would say its a well presentated documentary about life in another part of the uk where being gay isnt so easily accepted... Now of course it would take alot of courage for someone to go to a prom at sixteen in a dress... l think it is wrong of people to judge him on what he chooses to wear.. Why should gay people live in a society of fear and prejdudice..... I may not be a fan of drag queens because lets face it.... You see one... You seen them all... I will however say well done to the young artist for having the courage to defy his father and his school and go in what he wishes to.
I would like to question the school and ask them where does it state they are legally allowed to refuse a pupil right to a end of year party because they are dressed in oppisite sex clothing? If you go onto the streets and refuse someone in a bar because they are wearing the wrong sex's clothes your liable for a court case for sexism discrimiation... I think it is sad that he lost his father but to be honest... I beleive if your family have loved you and always will do they will stand by you no matter what... Like jamies Mother did... She has shown herself to be a wonderful fantastic mother and to be honest the fact she was willing to assist her son right to the very end with regards to this dream of his is something she should be praised for...

I wouldnt judge someone whether they are young or old and want to do drag or not, all gay men have some form of self esteem problems and this is why we critise one another because we want to appear apart from them when its not a freak show what they are doing because hetrosexual guys dress as women on stag nights which to me is no different to a gay man doing drag for a living.... Least he will be paid in the end

Kindest regards

zeon x