Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamie: Drag Queen at 16
Zeon I have to agree with the school part to be fair the way they said he was disgusting was out of order ! I have to say the end made me well emotional when like.. At the end he went and the school stuck up for him ! Then to have his dad send him that text was horrible ! But again just to say I'd well recommend this show to anyone else
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

Right Ive got to tell you guys the truth I've been a devil's advocate, Sorry but I wanted to start a good debait about the programme.

I havent had time to watch the programme, but I might have time to see it to night.

I watched the show and thought it was tastefully done. I found the show quite interesting as well. I would be lying if I said I am one hundred percent comfortable when thinking about the subject of drag queens. The reason why is because I have not had the chance of meeting any drag queens so I do view them as odd. To label the documentary as a freak show would be a overstatement. If anything it helps to diminish the stereotypes and stigma attached to being a drag queen. While watching the show it opened my eyes to the fact that people who dress in drag are normal people like everybody else. I may still find dressing in drag a bit odd but to each there own.
I would have to disagree with the person who said once you have seen one drag queen then you have seen them all. Some people once they get dressed in drag you cant tell the difference between them and a bonafide lady. For other men it doesnt matter how much makeup they put on they still look like a man in a dress. Last fall when I came out of the closet and I was still trying to find my bearings I started toying with the idea dressing in drag. It was more of a joke really in my mind since I know I would make a ugly drag queen. I jokingly talked to my family about dressing in drag and they agreed I wouldnt make a very pretty drag queen. Some people can pull it off but I am not one of those people.

On a side note while watching the show I found the cultural differences and similiarities between the UK and the USA quite interesting. I would love to take a trip to the UK some day to see the culture first hand.

OrphanPip Wrote:The fact of the matter is that I find it far more upsetting how many gay men are so quick to try and crush the visibility of drag queens because of their unwillingness to be associated with them.

How do they crush their visibility?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Marvinteck nice to see someone outside of the UK took the time to watch this show too Big Grin If you get time try Alex: A life in fast forward - Oh my god its not about the above or anything like it but its such a good program and its really touching ! (Had me in tears Sad!!!)
[/COLOR]

to be honist i dont see a problem with the show..............@ the end of the day its just another show on tv no big deal.

& plus for the people saying its a 'freak show' the people who are on the show choose to be on the show no one forced them............so if there happy to share there life stories with the world then i dont see why people see it in a negative way.........

sweetlad2010 Wrote:Part of Extraordinary Me, a season of programmes for BBC Three which focuses on young people with amazing stories to tell.

Info taken from [Image: Jamie_Drag_Queen_at_16] (UK Only Sorry)

Marky Wrote:Marvinteck nice to see someone outside of the UK took the time to watch this show too Big Grin If you get time try Alex: A life in fast forward - Oh my god its not about the above or anything like it but its such a good program and its really touching ! (Had me in tears Sad!!!)

I have watched four out of the six shows featured in the Extraordinary Me series on BBC Three. Unfortunately some of the content on the BBC website is unavailable if you live outside of the UK. The BBC website geolocates your IP address when you try accessing restricted content. If it detects that you live outside the UK a message "Not available in your area" will pop up on the screen and it will not let you watch the video. Here is the explaination that the BBC website gives as the reason why some content is not available outside of the UK:

I live outside the UK. Why can't I watch the video on the homepage of the BBC website?

Much of our website is aimed at UK users, so we negotiate rights to include video, audio, images and other types of content for the UK only. World rights are much more expensive, but we are hoping to make more audio and visual content available to our international audiences.

A person that lives outside of the UK can get around this restriction by going through a proxy server that has a IP address located inside the UK. I live in Myrtle Beach SC in the USA however the BBC website thinks I live in The UK since the proxy server I go through is located in London England. That is why I am able to watch the shows on the BBC website while other members in the states cant access the videos.

fredv3b Wrote:I am interested. We've got it recorded on the box at home. However i am afraid that I don't have anything to say about it until I've seen it.

We got round to watching it last night. I found it absolutely fascinating and very sensitively produced. I am sure it has done a great deal of good for the public image and understanding of drag queens. The one thing it failed to do was give a good explanation of why Jamie wanted to be a drag queen, although I suspect that it is because he himself does not have a good explanation, he just does, strongly.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:The one thing it failed to do was give a good explanation of why Jamie wanted to be a drag queen, although I suspect that it is because he himself does not have a good explanation, he just does, strongly.

Yeh from the beginning all it stated was he done it as a very young child wearing his mums clothes so I took that as a 'I've always had the urge to do it' sorta thing.
[/COLOR]

Hi all, I havent been around here in a while but me and my Trans partner watched Jamie...

Not only is he a very cute boy but it shows to the world what a drag queen is, generally that being a girly boy who does it for stage only. Not sexual reasons!!

The Transgendered communitys struggle enough with labels and more hatred than the now more accepted gay community ever will be, now I am not on any ones side but if Jamie wants to be a gay drag queen then fair play to the boy.

We thought he looked fab and hanging out with people like Lucy Legs Diamond will probably mean Jamie will get his wishes come true and get to do a job he loves unlike the majority of us who have always wanted to do more or be more but have not had the support, time or money to make our dreams come true..

Good luck Jamie!! xx