Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC soap to get new gay character
[img2=left]http://www.gayspeak.com/forum/images/news/eastenderskiss.jpg[/img2]EastEnders, the most-watched programme on the BBC, is to get a new gay character in the New Year.

The gay brother of character Jane Beale will arrive in Albert Square in early 2008.

The soap's executives were inspired to include a gay character after a similar move by ITV's Coronation St proved to be a big hit with viwers.

The Mirror reported: "The bosses at EastEnders have seen how well Antony Cotton does as Sean in Corrie.

"He's become incredibly popular with viewers so they've decided it's time to have a gay character of their own.

"However, he's not going to be as camp as Sean. This guy's going to be very suave and a real charmer."

The long-running soap is no stranger to gay and lesbian storylines.

It was the first in the UK to feature a gay male couple, and last year lead character Sonia Fowler had a lesbian affair.
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

it's the most watched??? I had no idea! I love that show!!!!!

lol... I really don't watch much TV in general... will be interesting to see their take on it tho... will they make a big thing about the character being gay or will they let him blend in like Sean from Corrie.

im glad hes not going to be camp!! im very happy that stereotype has been shaken off by hollyoaks and skins! Xyxthumbs

Hope hes hot :biggrin:
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]