Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Interview
Educate yourself on the company and the job and even if you don't know the specifics of the job, describe the basic concept of the job and its functions in your own words.

This demonstrates you have confidence in being able to do the job even if you will need just some training on how to use their tools, systems or procedures.

Explain this and talk about it in the interview to demonstrate that you have knowledge of the company and the job and impress that you already have a very good grasp of the job and what is required and show that you can do the job and are eager to get started. Give them that reason to want you over the next guy.

That's great Dan1980 Good luck.
Some other questions I've been asked
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? ( that one took me off guard,I've never been asked that before)
What can you contribute to our company?
That's all I'm going to say (don't want to scare you) But RELAX, they ask these questions to everyone.

Good luck I'm sure you'll do fine!
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

Excellent news Dan.

Some tips from me:

Know your CV pretty well, at least all the points relative to the role.
Dont bullshit or lie. If you don't know the answer, say so.
Aim to be at least 10 minutes early.

ObW
X

First and foremost CONGRATULATION FOR GETTING THE INTERVIEW, the first step is done. Now I won't repeat what others have said, they are all very good advices and take from them what will suit you for this interview. What I can do different however is that I am myself an employer and I have as we speak 300 employees under my directions and this is only for one aspect of the business I own. I have what we call a business umbrella which covers different professional areas.

I don't know what you applied for, but let me give you some insight from the Employer POV.

Nervousness.

It is just normal to be nervous at an interview, if I interview someone that seems to be too confident or cocky about its skills no matter to me if he's the only one with the set of skills I'm looking for you can be certain that I'll go for the less experimented who gives place to learn.

The business of interview.

Looking for a job is a full-time job and your time is as valuable as mine as an employer, if you feel that an employer is wasting your time, politely make mention it and if the response from the employer seems too counter-directional, you are in your full right to stop the interview and walk out. I did it before. I walked out of many interviews in fact because I truly believe that I was totally wasting my time. That happened quite often with employment agencies who's just looking into filling their potential candidate database. That is one practice that makes my dread locks go straight. That is why I refuse any offer coming from employment agencies.

Know your market

It is nice to do research on the company you'll be interviewed for but it is also good to properly know the market you are in. Someone mentioned the trick question here "what would you do in 5 years from now". This is where knowing your market is good, because not only this question is to find out if you plan on leaving the company anytime soon, but knowing the market you work in can also help in responding to this question. Per example, if you are an IT like I am, and the question is posed to you and you have done a proper research on the company, you can quickly without too much sounding like you're trying to throw powder in their eyes - you can mention that in 5 years you would like to have had the ability to further your knowledge to be more competitive in the market. This can be anything, and we all know that if you work in a company you do learn a lot within the 5 years of employment. This is a very vague yet quite explanative that you have no intention of leaving the company within the next two years, despite the fact that you have gathered new knowledge from them. (Even though, secretly you'll take the job to look for a better position later on) - We all work for money, I'm rich and I still work for money and because I love what I do of course. Knowing the market also shows that you're positive about your future with the company and that you're putting your trust in the company.

Open & Closed-ended question during Interviews

If you're a doctor like my husband and you're going for an interview for a hospital, you understand that what will be prevalent in the interview is your ability to answer direct question that doesn't ask your personal opinion. YOU MUST KNOW THE ANSWER. Closed-ended questions come in a multitude of forms, but are defined by their need to have explicit options to select from. Those question type does not allow the interviewee to provide unique or unanticipated answers.

Let's even go more specific... As a parent, when I ask 5 years old children what they want for dinner; such as, what do you want to do this weekend? - A) Visit grandma? B) Stay at home? Yes, you do have two choices, but you cannot tell me that you want to go to the zoo it wasn't in the choice I've asked.

Open ended question are exploratory, an interviewer will asks open ended questions when he/she wants to know your train of thoughts about a given subject. That's where you are given the possibility to develop more about who you are and what you can bring to the company in regards of your set of skills, that's where you outstands yourself from other candidates.

Therefore, in most job interviews there is a mix of open and close ended questions. Only you knows how much of those you can expect depending of your area of expertise so you're prepared to answer the question adequately.

Now I could go on and on, but there's many many other things to consider, but those I provided here are the ones to seriously watch out.

Social Networking

Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, LinkedIn, you may want to go ahead and filter everything you got in there even perhaps lock access to them for the time you are going at the Interview. It happened once I went for an interview and the Interviewer logged to my LinkedIn and started asking questions from my LinkedIn and compare them with those that figured in my resume. I didn't like that because my Linkedin in is for professional purposes only and it wasn't maint for job search, therefore, they noticed that even though I was looking for a job, I was in the brinks of launching my own company which happened to be in the same professional area that they were hiring for, of course they won't tell you, but you were their top choice sliding right down to the last because it was written black on white that I was planing on leaving or that my attention was not 100% percent directed toward them and that in some ways I was using them to gain more knowledge. They saw me as a threat and they were in a way pretty right about it because 3 years later I was taking customers from them.

Be very careful with social networking platforms, all you do, stays and it can be searched and crawled not only by Google, there's thousands of search engines on the Internet. Best example I can give you, I once came across a page that was crawled by some questionable search engine and it was a very outdated photo of my old Facebook account that I had removed ages ago. When I requested to have it removed, there was a not so legal process, they wanted me to pay to have it removed. I immediately contacted my lawyer and he took care of them. If the search had been initiated by me, I wouldn't have mind paying, but those nasty search engine are scams.

Anyway Dan, congratulation again and if you have any specific question regarding some interview question's meanings you can ask me through this thread you have created, don't PM me as I believe that many others can benefits from it.

Oh and feel free to come and analyse your post interview with us, because for the next interview (hopefully you won't need another one) it's always good to know what the interviewer was looking for.

Dan..Best of luck to you! If you can...do some deep breathing exercises before you enter the room so you will be calm and centered.

Dan - good luck.

Advice: Be yourself. Peace out!!

Congratulations on the interview! I have one coming up myself with a telemarketing company and I'm just as nervous! Dress for success, have confidence and OWN IT! Easier said than done I know...Just trying to make you laugh. Shakin

I had an interview about a month ago, my first one ever Smile and I was fking nervous, tho on the way on the bus, I decided to just be confident as I knew I was capable of getting the job, obviously why I applied. You gotta chill out, be confident, dress well and don'tseem shy

The interview went well guys. Thanks for your advice. I should know by Tuesday if I got the job.
An eye for an eye