Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Problems
I'm working at a Mexican resaurant at the moment, when they actually want me to work, and had, for all of three days, worked at the local Subway Sandwhich shop... I got fired at Subway Because the Manager "Texted my mom" trying to get me to work some days, yet my mom never got those texts, not to meantion that I got three days of training, and with my Auspergers (or at least, that's why my mom says) I sometimes have trouble learning, so not only was I told I was to slow when I first started, I got fired for something I'm pretty sure didn't happen... anyway, now I'm applying at the local Box factory, and I'm worried I won't get, or keep, that job...
SHOULD I worry? Am I over thinking this? advice is appreciated

Got your own phone? If so then tell your (next) boss to call YOU not your mom.

For a spell I was homeless and didn't have a home phone - this was back in the day when cell phones looked like this:

[Image: cellpics-37.jpg]

needles to say I didn't have one of those nor a land line. I ended up going through a store front to rent a pager for a few months.

I understand that pagers still exist. I don't know how cheap they are now days. If you cannot afford a cell-phone then this may be a working alternative for your boss/manager to get a hold of you.

You're 18 years of age. Mommy should not be your secretary and getting phone calls from your boss. You are legally an adult and are legally responsible for your commitment to your employer.

Aspergers:

I test on that scale, and looking back at my life I clearly see that I am symptomatic and managed to muddle through life without knowing what my problem was (a name for it) or having the internet to look up helpful sites that give advice on how to pass oneself off as 'normal'.

I wasn't diagnosed at a young age. I just kinda sorta thought I just had to work harder at the whole 'being human' thing. And that is what I did. I observed, took note and became an actor - as in I acted the part of being a 'normal' human being and muddled through day to day activities.

No I still do not have it down pat. I still prefer blunt truths over the tip-toeing around and lying about stuff, still don't do the small-talk thing. And other aspects.

You have the internet which will assist you in studying up how to pass through this world acting like a 'normal' human being.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=adu...ife+skills is a nice start.

Your doctor is the one who will tell you what you do and do not have trouble learning due to your condition. While mom may have your best interest at heart, if she is in control of your messages and is telling you what you can and cannot do/learn as a human being on this planet she may be smothering you, not just mothering you.

Smothering happens when motherhood just can't let go.

Of course your slow at this whole job thing. You're only 18 - seriously how many years have you had a job and dealt with the all the ins and outs of this sort of work? So yes you are on a steep learning curve - every gets on that curve and have to muddle through and find ways that work for them to coexist with their fellow human beans.

Box Factory:

If this is a job making boxes, then most likely you will have to deal with machines more than people. Trust me, machines are far easier to get along with and don't make small talk and other agonizing things. Which is why I came to love construction work, materials and tools don't sass back (much) and are far, far easier to figure out and work with than human beans.

So if you do get this job it may be a bit easier for you than a customer service type job like subway.

Try any of these sites:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=adu...+interview or several of them, read up on how/why your diagnosis can affect or influence your job.

http://www.kennethrobersonphd.com/five-s...aspergers/ lays out some interesting points.

Disclosure to your boss about your diagnosis is up to you. however understand that disclosure of Aspergers and using it as an excuse are two different things. I'm seeing way to many people using Aspergers as an excuse which is annoying the rest of the world.

Yes for you with little to no training in anything because your 18, you don't know what your skill set will be, where you will excel and won't excel.

However if you find that the job will mean more time with machines than people, you might be able to turn this in your favor by telling your employer that you actually prefer working with machines more than people thus the job is better suited for your needs and wants that you have for your job. I do not know how true that feels for you. If it rings true for you then by all means play that card.

You can also play on the 'I want to learn skills' aspect here. Someone your age who has enthusiasm for learning tends to get a job easier than a person who shows absolutely no interest in learning.

Dress for success. Yes the job may be jeans and overalls - whatever, but study after study has shown that a well dressed individual (especially young ones) tend to get jobs better than those who show up wearing whatever.

Sure you can wear jeans, and a button-down shirt the simple addition of a tie to that shirt will show that you are taking the job interview/search process a bit more seriously than the kid who shows up in jeans and t-shirt.

As for getting the job. I'm sorry to report this but the economy still sucks and there are lots of unemployed people out there. We are talking middle aged people who are skilled, trained and have degrees which can compete you out of any position you may apply for.

In the past several years the situation has been that those who already have a job currently, get the job more often than those who are unemployed.

You are at a good time for getting a job - at least seasonal (temporary) work upon which you can give yourself up to another job. Right now stores (retail stores) are starting their Christmas hiring for the holidays. due to the amount of temp jobs that open up they are more likely to hire you right off without skills and training than say this Box Factory.

DO NOT make the mistake of thinking that this retail job is your life career. ALL stores have this habit of hiring decent people, working them with near full time hours until January then cutting back the hours to below 30.

My roommate took on a job at Target a couple three years ago, seasonal help, he got hired on temporarily at full time until the end of his probationary period, then they started dicking him around trying to make him quit. just before his one year anniversary with the company (which came with pay raise and hours raise) they ended up coming up with stupid reasons to fire him. A lot of retail stores do that.

His current Job with Macys has done basically the same thing, except instead of firing him they just continue to pare off an hour here and hour there because the longer he works their the more per hour they have to pay him. Why pay him $12.00 an hour when they can hire on a kid fresh out of high school for $10?

With all of that said, having a job at Macy's, Target, Walmart, Home Despot - whatever and applying for a more stable job like at the box factory will end up giving you a real edge in getting that job at the Box Factory.

This isn't to say you shouldn't apply now at the box factory. Do it, and make certain if you get an interview to ask if they have on the job training, or if there is extra schooling that you can take to improve your job performance/position in the job later down the road. That sort of question shows that you are thinking about this job as a more permanent, long term position, not as a stepping stone - but a serious job.

If they say no, try again and again. Eventually they will see you have your mind set here. It helps to check in occasionally to ask about positions and ask them if you can resubmit your resume as time goes on to reflect changes in your life/employment history as those changes take place.

Good points of Aspergers:

I prefer routine, I dislike change and having my routine upset. Translate that into: I need a permanent type job to be happy, thus am willing/able to work harder to keep my job for years.

I don't like small talk: Translate it to, I prefer not to waste valuable time at the water cooler, and will more often than not dedicate myself to my job over social activities at or outside of work.

I am OCD about stuff: Translate it to, I'm detail orientated and prefer to learn as much about my job as possible, wanting to know how it works, and how it relates to other departments.

Seriously look at your 'symptoms' list that you present and turn it around into a positive. Honestly much of the Aspergers symptoms list can be turned into a positive when it comes to work and other areas of life.

If you need help with that or anything else PM me here and I will see what I can do to assist. If I don't know I know a few others who might have answers.

Humeinator2 Wrote:I'm working at a Mexican resaurant at the moment, when they actually want me to work, and had, for all of three days, worked at the local Subway Sandwhich shop... I got fired at Subway Because the Manager "Texted my mom" trying to get me to work some days, yet my mom never got those texts, not to meantion that I got three days of training, and with my Auspergers (or at least, that's why my mom says) I sometimes have trouble learning, so not only was I told I was to slow when I first started, I got fired for something I'm pretty sure didn't happen... anyway, now I'm applying at the local Box factory, and I'm worried I won't get, or keep, that job...
SHOULD I worry? Am I over thinking this? advice is appreciated

If what you describe is really true then there is a strong likelihood you qualify for employment assistance through Vocational Rehabilitation.

Here are the three offices closest to your county.

DRS Athens Field Office 607 E. Tyler St. , Ste. 112 ATHENS, TX 75751
(800) 959-5706 (903) 675-9900
DRS Crockett Field Office 1046 S. 4th St. CROCKETT, TX 75835
(800) 687-4570 (936) 546-7960
DRS Waco Field Office 717 Franklin Ave. WACO, TX 76701
(800) 687-6903 (254) 759-7500

Here's the link to the website for more info:
http://www.dars.state.tx.us/drs/offices/...cator.aspx

Here's a pamphlet that describes what it is, what it does, what you need to do...
http://www.dars.state.tx.us/publications/pdf/01856.pdf

Remember programs don't work, you work programs...so don't just settle for "you don't qualify" or "failure" when accessing these resources. PM me if you need personalized guidance about the process for your state.

Best wishes! Wavey
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

I'm not sure if you meant that I should make sure if I have auspergers or not, Bowen, but I know I do, anyway thanks, and the home phone is what I consider "My" phone, though it's a landline, and My stepdad makes me save every penny for a car (I can't argue, I like having a place to live) so no cell for me.. and I really do need to see a doctor, though non of us have the money to see one, nor any insurace, even though my stepdad's a prison gaurd and works overtime and 8 days every time he can. mom doesn't have a job, she gets too stressed and it affects her health and depression can kick back in with her, so we only have enough money to live on. once I have a good steady job and a car, I get to spend my money how I want, and the Factory might provide benefits like health car, so I may even get to see a doctor if I get the job, since I'd have money and possibly insurance.
And CCRoxs, I'd go to those places if I could, and the internet here right now is messed up, so only one of the links worked, and even then.

I just had to stoip the page loading for that link...
Bowen, How do you make such long replies????

I sacrifice children to give me the ability to keep my fingers moving for long periods of time without stopping. I also bath in the blood of virgins to maintain my youthful appearance. :biggrin:

Um yeah if you are not diagnosed, then I strongly suggest you do. It will help you in the long run.

As for health care, most states are getting on the Medicaid/Medicare sort of program - its all under the Affordable Care Act.

Having a diagnoses will open other doors as Ccrox points out.

(No really, I give a lot of thought to what I want to say, then I spend up to two hours writing, deleting, then re-writing. I spent a good hour and a half composing my message to you, and looking up stuff to assist you - because I care.)

Voc Rehab will pay for the diagnostics to get you started. You have no reason not to apply. Good luck!
Chad
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Bowen, you're able to post longer replies than me, or at least it seems like it
also, I'm needing to look for good coleges that deal with designing characters for video games, and maybe just general video game related stuff, any Ideas? I plan to apply for scholarships and a grant to hopefully get in free, who knows, maybe I can get some kind of grant/scholarship because I'm a gay guy with auspergers that is decently good with math and stayring at a TV/Computer screen for long long periods of time XD
as they say in social media #wishfullthinking *has no clue the main purpose of #s*

Ccorx pointed out vocational Rehab.

I have no idea how far that will carry you.

Its cool you have an interest in the arts (Graphic Design is what computer characters fall under).

There are federal programs for grants and student loans.

Pel Grant: http://www2.ed.gov/programs/fpg/index.html this may apply, if your folks are not well off as you have described then you may be right for that.

I know there are schools of various computer stuff - I see commercials occasionally. I don't know what their requirements are, but if you have a general idea of what it is you want to do, you can look at various schools and contact them about how you can proceed with tuition: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=com...cs+schools lots of schools.

With the Affordable Health Care Act (Obamacare) a lot of things have changed. This may be a good place to start on your search for various programs and even possibly insurance companies: http://www.tmhp.com/Pages/ClientEnglish/..._care.aspx