Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job search suggestions please....
The last time I went looking for a job was back in the last century. This included leg work and newspapers. The Internet was a young thing, barely able to toddle, let alone run.

I know there is Craigslist which I have been looking at, And Google throws out a lot of suggestions, but I'm wondering if any of you have a tried and true
job hunt site that you would recommend.

Suggestions/help welcome.

Is there a good local paper with help wanted ads????

Do you have a decent local chamber of commerce? Some of them host job hunt sites with local listings. We have a job bank in Canada that's pretty solid. There is your usual workopolis, monster etc. Even social media can be useful. My city has a twitter feed just for job listings that's pretty helpful, maybe yours does too?

Try to get to know people in the area. Networking is a powerful thing.

Old adage: restaurants and hospitals always need help. My adage: restaurants will often give you food to eat.

I have always made it a habit to have access to work such that I could bike, walk or ride a bus when necessary. Though I am retired now, I realized a while ago that my commute was always opposite to the heavy flow of traffic. It made things a lot easier.

Consider using any skills you have to become self employed. I know a retired fellow, for example, who does very nicely repairing small motors and doing yard maintenance. He is pleasant, does great work, and is able to set his own hours. He has more business than he can handle.
I bid NO Trump!

My job hunting days are long past, so this isn't the freshest information. But I was looking through the websites of companies I was interested working for in the neighborhood and looked what kind of positions they were posting. If I found something interesting I custom-tailored a CV and an application letter and sent it off. That is honestly how I got my current position. (Looking for a job to me was one of the worst periods of my life, so I don't envy anybody doing it)
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

When I got my current job, I was hired at a job fair.

I was interested in working at a bank, walked in and asked about where a resumé would be dropped off, and they told me they were having a job fair the following week. They gave me the location and time, and they saw multiple prospects to fill multiple positions.

I made sure I was first in line, had a preliminary interview at the initial location, they liked my resumé, sent me to a branch for a second interview the same day, and by the end of the day I was hired.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

And don't forget the state employment office.

Online, by the way, is not the best way to get a job. On foot and in person works better.
I bid NO Trump!

Newspaper had about a dozen ads for employment. Maybe its just because of the holiday?

Twitter feed, Chamber of commerce... That's what I want to hear, young minds telling me how its done in the 21st century. newspapers, door to door walking, please that is so 20th century. I need to step up my game and pretend I'm in this century. :tongue:

The random hit store after shop after business ain't going to fly. This old elf ain't up to walking that far anymore. From what I understand, the seasonal help is being laid off this week with the post holiday selling, so getting a job with a retail store isn't very likely. Thus I need a way to pinpoint which companies are hiring.

Then try to fit my abilities to their needs.

Too many I have seen thus far are demanding a driver's license... Even though these are suppose to be office type jobs.

They are probably demanding a driver's license to verify residency and also to assure themselves that you can get to work. Certain ID is used to verify citizenship. Look that up and have it on hand. A driver's license is one form but there are many. Get a DMV ID card if you do not drive. Also tell them plainly that you are able to get to work reliably.

21st century sounds great, but it is too easy for an employer to ignore an online application for a job.

You might also try a temp agency like Kelly. They even have benefits and allow you to accrue hours toward vacation.
I bid NO Trump!

Go to Careerbuilder.com or Indeed.com or Linkedin.com and search for listings under your city.

You'll get the range of jobs currently posted, and a good idea of what the employer wants.