Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jobs
OK, basically, a few of you may know I am seriously considering not going to Germany and dropping out of uni for several reasons... but I am still not sure.

I am not sure of what career I'd like to go into or anything like that
So I was wondering, what do you guys do for your full time employment? Are you happy in your position? And (if you don't mind disclosing) what sort of money are you on (you don't have to specify amounts if it's personal).

See my problem is I don't know what TYPES of jobs are out there. Everyone keeps saying that quitting uni will be bad for a future job etc. but the only reason I was learning german was a personal amibiton, not for a future job. I don't really see myself moving to Germany nor do I see myself doing translation or anything like that as it's boring :redface:

Cheers guys Confusedmile:

Personally.. I think you should stick the course out.... primarily because you're such a damned good linguist from what I gather from you on here. And I know it'll have a huge impact on you, but it's only 1 year in Germany right... when you've got many many more to have back home.

BUT...

If you do decide to drop out... and in answer to your question...

I work with dogs
Happiness in my job varies... it can be a source of happiness or it can be a source of utter stress (as it was the last couple of weeks, although things are better again at present).
Salary... I don't mind PMing that info to ya along with more of my job details.

I don't know about in the UK but here in SA,you are seriously disadvantaged in the job market if you don't have a university degree.I'm an investment analyst.Corporate clients come up to us and we find markets/ventures that can help increase their portfolio,presence & profitability.I used to hate it but I now have an understanding project squad,we the "Dream Team"!The pay is really,really good,I can't complain.

It really depends on what your career goals are. I just want to be a teacher, so now that I've decided to drop my MA in Classics, I'm going to do a Bachelor of Education. Still, I have a Bachelor of Arts, but its only a $20000 piece of paper that says that I can read, write, and do research, even applying for simple jobs, they don't care.

I still have things I want to do, but I'm never going to get a degree for them, liking writing a book.

Really, its not an easy decision, but think about what is most important to your well-being and happiness. If you can find a job you love without a degree, then its your decision to go for it.

Normally I would suggest that you can pick up an education when it suits you best, but aren't you at least half-way through your course? It seems a shame not to see it through unless the coursework is actually going so distastrously badly that there is no way to pick it up again. Even if you have no intention of using it in any future job, you'd probably be more of an attractive proposition to an employer if you could offer a language degree. As has been suggested, just having a degree shows that you can stick at a task until it's completed. That's an admirable quality for any employee. The converse is having to explain during every interview that unfinished degree course on your cv ...

I don't know why you don't want to go to Germany. I'd recommend any young person spend some time living and working in another country if ever they got the opportunity. You certainly look at your own surroundings with different eyes on your return.

Maybe you've already done the ground work in learning the language. I was very poorly motivated in my language lessons at school (particularly in French, I was better in German, but I only studied it for the two years I did it for o'level) and now I'm finding that learning French in my fifties is so difficult ... and I have considerably more motivation this time round.

Germany's not that far away and it's only for a year. If there is any way you can do it I would say go for it. Don't store up something you'll probably only come to see as unfinished business in the future.

The only word of caution I would offer is be prepared for some interesting food experiences Wink although Germans do wonderful things with marzipan.

As for jobs, after I worked as a driver and builder's labourer for a couple of years I went to college and became a teacher. I became increasingly interested in the processes of teaching and learning in music and eventually worked in music education advisory services for fifteen years until I was made redundant. For the past eight or nine years I've been a freelance musician, getting by on a mixed bag of projects in schools, community music, performing with a variety of bands and more recently getting more of a thrill out of composing.

As for pay, I can earn a reasonable daily rate when I have the work, but my marketing strategy is too wayward for this to happen consistantly. However, the joy of working for oneself is that I can set the pace and direction of what I do.

Dunno if any of that answers your question! Good luck in making your decisions.

Smurlos Wrote:OK, basically, a few of you may know I am seriously considering not going to Germany and dropping out of uni for several reasons... but I am still not sure.

I am not sure of what career I'd like to go into or anything like that
So I was wondering, what do you guys do for your full time employment? Are you happy in your position? And (if you don't mind disclosing) what sort of money are you on (you don't have to specify amounts if it's personal).

See my problem is I don't know what TYPES of jobs are out there. Everyone keeps saying that quitting uni will be bad for a future job etc. but the only reason I was learning german was a personal amibiton, not for a future job. I don't really see myself moving to Germany nor do I see myself doing translation or anything like that as it's boring :redface:

Cheers guys Confusedmile:

For all the reasons that Marshlander quoted and probably more selfish ones, I'd go to Germany and finish the course. Having a language degree will prove invaluable in later years. I read somewhere that Britain would start suffering in world competition because it hasn't got enough linguists or people who understand how the other countries of the European market work, so you stick in there and get that degree... I'm sure Pilgrim would agree totally with me here.
If the worst comes to the worst, you can always end up teaching (if that is not your first choice of work) which requires the knowledge to be there for starters.
I understand, however, that your motivation for going away has dwindled quite a lot since you met your guy. Therefore, leaving him behind seems like something difficult to do. You do not mention this in your post, but I suppose it has a lot to do with your quest for advice. Anybody who loves you would do what you did with him lately. He'd let you go and make sure that you have all the training you need to become someone you can be proud of. But will it be so easy for him to let you go for a year. You found two weeks to be long enough (and yet short in passing).
Maybe now's the time to start thinking of how you two might get together once you are in Germany... Would he like to / could he come over with you? Maybe he can't or won't. That is definitely something that needs to be discussed. Just make sure his arguments aren't too selfish, but we're talking of the man who treated you so well after your accident, aren't we?Wink

Oh by the way, teaching (in France after over 26 years in the career) about Euro:2,500... not really great, but not the worst. Start pay is at about Euro:1,200