Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jobs, bosses and homosexuality.
Think of it this way, would you want to work in an environment that makes you feel uncomfortable?

I'm studying Human Resource Management at the moment, and I've asked my professor about sexual orientation and workplaces policies. He recommend me to read their equality policies before applying.

However, I think it boils down to how you want your personal and professional life to be handled. I know some folks that are content not being out at work, and likes to keep them separate, however it shouldn't be a problem if you want to be out at work. It SHOULDN'T affect you anyway professionally. If it does, you should prob contact the HR department if your company has one.

I know people say HR is not made to benefit the people but to benefit the company but it is still part of their goal to make sure their employees are being treated equally and with respect.

Yea I am out at work. I feel lucky to have laws as well as corporate rules that prohibit discrimination, but I get the sense that politics would come into play if you claimed someone was using your sexuality against you. It is a construction related job so there are plenty of he-men around but if there has been anybody talking smack about me, I'm not aware of it, and I have good friends there who I am sure would tell me if they heard it. My boss is fine with it and we see her boss like twice a year, so I'm not particularly worried.

I was military for 20 years, and in the closet for all of it.
A few years later I came out, and now everyone that matters knows. I've never worn my sexuality on my sleeve, and I don't let it define me.
I'm now a C grade at an international company, and took my (now ex) to my 1st Christmas party with them last year. I made sure the rest of my peers were ok first, and they encouraged and supported me to do so. Hasn't been an issue, and while I don't come out at interview, I usually let a few people know discreetly within a couple of months of joining a new company.
Having said that, I'm in Africa a lot for work, and no one knows there for obvious reasons!
Good luck with what's going on, and I hope you can work through the it.