Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joining College GSA- Yes or no?
I like the idea of a GSA but the gay people in it seem to be quite flamboyant and I highly doubt that they would ever think of accommodating someone like me.

Arkansota Wrote:... I highly doubt that they would ever think of accommodating someone like me.

Why?
What makes you think that?

The GSA in my high school was definitely geared towards flamboyant people

Why not give it a try? There's no guarantee that it'll be like your high school GSA. Nothing wrong with scoping it out and seeing if it's for you or not.

Arkansota Wrote:The GSA in my high school was definitely geared towards flamboyant people

How so?
What do they do that's geared towards flamboyant people?

Try it. If something doesn't work out, leave it. It's as simple as that.

It is called a Gay STRAIGHT Alliance.

So I'm sure they'll be open to all kinds of gay people.

Just because some LGBT people are more obvious or more
flamboyant than others doesn't mean that we all don't have
a common goal.

You should check it out, maybe it'll break some of your
preconceived notions about 'flamboyant people'.

You might as well go a few times just to see, you might end up enjoying it.

Just because you had issues with your high school GSA, doesn't mean your colleges GSA will be exactly the same.

Go, find out if you fit in, but don't be devastated if you don't. Some parts of the gay community can be more open than others. If the GSA isn't the place, keep looking until you find it. I'm relatively new to the "community" but I've already found people like to put others in boxes and categories. That's human, unfortunately. But there a box for you, and there are also lots of people who try and avoid boxes (creating another box?) The important thing is, be true to yourself, but also be open to others who are not sure of their place. You might be surprised at the connections you make, so give these folks a chance.