Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Saying "hi"
Hey guys,

My name is PJ. I am an older college student who is planning on getting my BA in art history in May 2010. From there, I hope to go to Parson's School of Design (The New School) in order to get a fellowship at Cooper-Hewitt. I intend on studying historical embroidery focusing medieval and renaissance embroidery.
I have recently started dating a really great guy whom I like very much. I want to see where things go with this guy so I am currently off the dating market. I am interested in making new friends and discussing current issues.
If you want to be friends, hit me up. I think you will find me a pretty mellow guy.

[COLOR="Purple"]Hey mellow PJ. Welcome to the site. I think it is a pretty cool site Wavey

I have some art history background and ran a small fashion house in San Francisco a few years back.

Sounds like you have some very specific goals. Where does this focus come from? And what do you hope to do with such a degree?

btw, good luck with the new guy and the studies.[/COLOR]

I did not start in university. I went to a county college first. While I was in county college, I was an history major. But then, I took two classes in art history and I realized that I love art and I love history. I always knew I liked art, I did not realize that I loved it. It turns out that I have a passion for it. I know that I love it, because every time I get frustrated with my work; I stop, pull back from it, take another look at what I am writing about and I find myself say, "It's just so beautiful."
My goal is that I want to teach on a collegiate level and I want to do my own research in medieval and renaissance embroidery. I have always loved doing embroidery and as I look at historical embroidery, I am amazed at what I see. I have a huge fascination for goldwork embroidery. English goldwork embroidery (Opus Anglicanum), to be exact. I also love studying blackwork and German brickwork (Opus Teutonicanum). I hope to be one of those experts that museums and auction houses call in to verify the authenticity of the work. I think that would be amazing. Of course, it also means that I am going to have to write books on the subjects as well.
Sorry, but you asked the right question to make me talk your ear off (so to speak). I can talk about embroidery for hours.
The new guy recently started college, as well. He found out that I was older than he was and that I was going to school so he thought he would try it, himself. He wants to get into massage therapy and he is working toward getting an associates degree. We have been talking since the beginning of November (the 4th, to be exact) and we never seem to have an end to our conversations. We "met" online but we have yet to meet in person. We have some complications as far as meeting goes because he does not have a car and I do not drive, but he is working on getting a car so that me may come to visit me (so he says). Because I have faith in people until I am proven wrong, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. The nice thing is, it keeps us moving slow toward a relationship and we are spending the time getting to know one another. He is a really great guy and I look forward to meeting him. This past month has been difficult but I think that there is a reason why we have these obstacles to overcome.
I know, I am answering way more than was asked but I can't stop thinking about the guy. He really rocks my sox.
The "New Guy" is really cool and really sweet. He is very outgoing and he seems to be very understanding. Of course, we are in the beginnings of the relationship, so I could be wrong. But this is my assessment, so far. I like him A LOT and I can't seem to get enough of him. I hope everything works out between us but I am practical enough to realize that things can change at any time. For now, I just want to concentrate on him and see where things go. I know this probably sounds silly but I am the kind of person who focuses on one person at a time and I am very, very monogamous. For now, I see myself as being with him and by focusing on him and my school work, I will accomplish my goals. It took me a long time to get where I am and I am not going to sacrifice any of it by doing something stupid. (Believe me, I do stupid things all the time.) I don't know what the future brings more than anyone else does, but for now everything looks good.
Thank you for the well wishing. I hope we can be really good friends.

Pax
PJ

Hello, PJ, and welcome Confusedmile:

Heya, Welcome to the Site xx

Hi. PJ. Welcome

Hello! and welcome Smile

Hellow PJ,Xyxwave welcome to the forum, Ben.

Hey, welcome to the forums Big Grin

Hi,welcome and hope you enjoy the site!